Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Rim Info & Pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5BLT4FUN, Oct 15, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There has been a lot of questions regarding Hummer Rims lately. So here is link to my photos of the 12 Bolt Hummer Rims and 42 that I am running. Hummer Setup The Hummer rim is available in both an 8 bolt(bias tire) and 12 bolt(radial tire) style. Both the 8 & 12 bolt style are 8.25" x 16.5" They both have approx. 7" backspacing and 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern. That is the only similarity between the two. The 8 bolt has a .155" thick outer ring, has a Max PSI of 30, and a Max Load of 2850 pounds. The 8 lug also has "For Military Use Only". The 12 bolt has a .250" outer ring which is also the mounting flange, a Max PSI of 50, and Max Load of 3850 pounds. It does not have the "For Military Use Only", but does have a "DOT-T" stamped in it. I am running a hummer rim setup on my GM Dually D60 front axle, with a GM 14 BFF Truck axle that has 2.5" spacers in the rear. The Dually D60 WMS to WMS is 76-5/8" and the 14 BFF axle with the 2.5" spacer WMS to WMS is 72-1/4". I am building a Van 14 BFF to put in place of the truck one. With the 2.5" spacers on the Van 14 BFF, the WMS to WMS will be 75-1/4".

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Great info Layne! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Looks like with the Van 14FF you will have the perfect setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

thanks for the really good info Layne.... what year van should I look for as the best to build with.. Im in the same boat with my new 3 +3 (1989 w/36k miles on it)that I want to convert to srw....
    thanks
    cam

5. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

Can I ask a question here? What's the hype of running HMMWV wheels on POV's? I see a lot of people talking about it but never seen anybody say why their doing it. I just ask because I'm a light wheeled vehicle mechanic in the Army and deal with HMMWVs a lot.

6. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

cuz they're dual bead lock wheels... that and all the cool kids (like me /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) have 'em

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

not to mention most aftermarket beadlock rims arewhat, $200+ each, where as the hummer rims can be found for much less, and like said before, dual beadlocking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. K5BLT4FUN

The Van rear end that I have is a 78 Chevy 3/4 Ton Telephone Van. I am not sure what years have the wider axle. As for the reason alot of people are running them. It was stated earlier, they offer the ability to have dual beadlocks and you can get the 8 bolt style for around $50.00 to 60.00 bucks a wheel with the magnesium runflat. I had little bit harder time finding the 12 bolt style and paid for it. Then I just bought some magnesium runflats to use on them.

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

As far as I know. ALL vans with 14 Bolt FF are the wider width. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Did you have any problems with that 2.500” inch wide spacer?
    I’m looking to get my Hummer rims on without re-centering them too.
    I’m looking at the 2.500” inch wide spacer you used and your only contact is where the spacer bolts to the hub…I’m going to put my hubs in a lathe and turn the nose down till I get a clean surface, then bore a hole into a 4.250” inch wide spacer, what I will end up with is the spacer pressed onto the hub. The hub sticks out 2.000” and the axle flange plate another .500”… the spacer will be hanging off the hub 1.750”…so the last point of contact with the hub will be .750” (3/4”) less them what you had with the 2.500” wide spacer…

[​IMG]

11. KRAZIE87K5

Tony-

As you stated... in the rear, you will be out past the "nose" on the 14B axle flange. This might make it hard to remove the axle while offroad *EDIT - WIHTOUT removing the spacer*... but this could be fixed with a little tab, or "U" of some sort welded to the flange.

Same deal in the front as well... but a little more critical here. If you install a 4.250" spacer on a SRW front D60 bearing hub, how much of the nose will protrude? Any? My concern is that I run flanges. Flanges have press fit dust covers that would be a bizatch to get out on the trail if you were to say - pop a stub shaft. TWO ideas here. #1. weld on the tab or "U" onto the dust cover (probably won't be able to remove it this way though... SO what about cutting out an area in the side of the spacer to allow for a screw driver to get in there and pry the dust cover loose, THEN pull it out with the welded on helper?

Ideas? Comments? Maybe you already thought of this?

I'll be calling you again... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This might make it hard to remove the axle while offroad

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you want to remove the axle without removing the wheel…If that’s the case them you could drill and tap a threaded hole on the end of the axle and use a long bolt and slide hammer type of tool to remove…
    On the front you can shorten the spacer from 4.250” to 2.750” wide and on the Chevy dana 60 SRW hub the nose is about 6” long…

13. KRAZIE87K5

Check out this link... I did some math, just to see what different size spacers would produce in terms of WMS to WMS measurements.

http://64.53.232.77/images/truck/spacers/DRW2.htm

IIRC, from a earlier discussion I had with Layne - the 2.750" spacer in the front would leave my 42x15" wide tire just 1" from the tie rod ends. Flex or contort that tire at all and I've got a problem on my hands.

-Dan

14. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    I take it you want to remove the axle without removing the wheel…

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly... I'll remove the wheel/tire... thats not the problem. Just just don't want to have to remove the spacer as well. You would have to remove the 8 lugs, and then get in there with a box wrench??? and remove the spacer... See what I am saying?

I'd rather not drill my axle... I'd prolly just weld something on... maybe a nut that I could thread a bolt into... or something... but thats not going to help on my flimsy front drive flange dust covers... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

-Dan

15. K5BLT4FUN

I have had no problems thus far with my spacers. The 2.5" spacer is completely on the 14 BFF Hub. The only part sticking out is the axle flange and bolts. I however do wish the spacers fit tighter to the hub though. They do seem to work just fine though.

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I however do wish the spacers fit tighter to the hub though

[/ QUOTE ]
    this is were I'm making the mod to the ones I'm making up...the spacer will be a slip fit over the hub nose all the way out...so they not only bolt to the hub but will be supported from the center nose to the end...

17. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My concern is that I run flanges. Flanges have press fit dust covers that would be a bizatch to get out on the trail if you were to say - pop a stub shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinkin of coming back to Fulton Dan? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You should see the new and improved Sunday Drive /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Tony, when are you going to come up w/ a price on these? Are you going to offer turned hubs on an exchange basis?

19. KRAZIE87K5

Get pics! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm back from the SoCalBigDawg run and had a great time....
    I'm collecting 14FF hub so like you asked....I can just do them in a kit, going to see my lathe guy tomorrow to get a cost for the hub work....give me a couple of days on this... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif