Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer rims 12 bolt or 8 bolt UPDATED FOUND 12 blolt rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, May 10, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think there is ones with 8 and 12 bolt. What is the difference? A friend in the MV club i belong to dosn't want to deal with hummer parts any more. So i got 2 sets of 8 bolt ones for a 100 and they are on the way up here and a friend said i just wasted my money. He said i need the one with more bolts. SO what the hell do i need?? Why cant i use these? I can get more to if these are good ones to use.

Thanks mike

500 for 5 WOW Thats a big jump in price are they really worth it?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Re: Hummer rims 12 bolt or 8 bolt

I think they're all 8 lug; the number of bolts is around the outer perimeter, i.e. the beadlock part -- or maybe it's the two-piece part. I also seem to recall something about one set for radials and a different rim for bias ply tires, maybe?

-- A

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The 8 bolt wheels were originally a bias ply application and the 12 bolts are originally radial. Of course, you can use either type of tire on either wheel. The 8 bolt wheels will have a magnesium run flat and the 12 bolt will use a rubber run flat insert. The run flats also interchange between the wheels too.

I think the reason most people want the 12 bolt wheels is the more = better theory. The 12's are harder to find (used) and typically cost more.

4. dremu

What 'e said. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

-- A

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Want to sell me a set? I'll come by and pickup... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FYI, IIRC to fit the SFA's, they need to be recentered....

How many short hands can I use in one sentence? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Forgot to also say, the 8 bolt ones are techcnially not DOT certified- the 12 bolt ones are.

Any ideas how much a wheel weighs?

7. nvrenuf

I'd have to look at mine to be sure but I was thinking the 8 bolt wheels did have a DOT stamp. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The wheels weigh in around 55lbs each so they are sort of expensive to ship. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Pookster's right about them not readily fitting a standard axle, they have roughly 7" of backspacing. You can run them as is but you'll need a DRW front end and either a DRW rear end or an SRW with spacers. Like he said, a lot of people recenter them for use on SRW axles.

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The difference is obvious when you have the two wheels side by side. The weight rating and maximum pressure is greater on the 12 bolt (radial) version. Max psi on the 8 bolt is 30 pounds and on the 12 bolt 50 psi. The wheels are designed different as well. The bolt on lug portion on the 8 bolt is part of the rear half of the wheel while it is part of the front on the 12 bolt. The beadlip is significantly thicker and less prone to bending on the 12 bolt as well. I run the 12 bolt with a custom rock ring. Both wheels will work just fine depending on your needs. I use the sub to offroad and tow as well so I needed the higher weight rating and psi rating.
    [​IMG]

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Is that the shape of the state of MO cut out for access to the lug nuts and valve stem? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Was trying to figure out the funny cut-outs, but it makes sense now /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What happens when you drop the 8th lug nut down in the rim when you're putting the tire on...lol. Looks like a pain in the butt! (But, looks awesome /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif)

11. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

this is a little off topic but i was wandering if the hummer rims come in different sizes and if not what is the biggest tire you can fit on a hummer rim /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. nvrenuf

The 8 bolt wheels only come in one size, 8.25x16.5 w/ 7" backspacing. I think the 12 bolt wheels are basically the same size (maybe a slightly different width).

I will be mounting 42's on my 8 bolt wheels. You can put a 44 on them if you don't mind the tire being "sucked in". Lot's of people use them on big tires.

13. 84CUCV

What do i need to do to recenter them? Who makes a kit? Where do i find the run flats? I talked with him and he has a few more sets all 8 bolt and no run flats. When they are gone he wil not be getting anymore.

Thanks mike

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Lol. i'll take two sets please. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif im local! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. 84CUCV

i will let you know. when i get a hold of him.

mike

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What do i need to do to recenter them?

[/ QUOTE ]
    They have insano backspacing....I forgot what it was though... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. 84CUCV

Yea, i see i was just looking at them. So who makes a kit or is this something you need to home grow? thanks

18. dremu

Umm, I think that recentering them involves cutting out the center section on a big lathe, moving it, and re-welding without the crazy backspace.

I know Stockton Wheel does this, but I sure as hell wouldn't be able to do it myself.

-- A

19. 84CUCV

Thanks anyone else do this?

20. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I know this is old, but there are actually two different 12 bolt outer rims. One has a load rating of 3400 pounds and the other has a load rating of 3850 pounds. The easy way to differentiate the two id the 3850 ones have another hole drilled in the rim 90 degrees from the valve stem. this was used on HMMWVs with CTIS(central tire inflation system). The 8 bolt outer rims have a lower load rating(3200 pounds i think) and if you don't torque them correctly the outer portion(ring) disforms and leaks begin that are not stoppable.