Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hummer rims on a chevy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fred79, Sep 8, 2002.

1. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

i was checking out 4wheeler magazine today and noticed alot of the tough truck challengers were using hummer wheels. I was trying to find info on the net but there isn't much about converting them over to chevy bolt pattern. it's a great idea for a trail rig as tehy are two piece wheel with a internal bead lock for both front and back, and you can get them with a runflat aluminum spacer. that mean its even easier to change your own tires no machine necessary and i think you can run the bead locks on teh road because all teh civvy hummers came with them and also the runflats for the first few years. any one know anything about them or making them work for a chevy axle!? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road did a story on it a while back. I forgot the name of the company, but you send the hummer wheels to them and they cut out the centers and weld new one's in to fit your bolt pattern. They also supply parts for the wheels like runflats and stuff. I'll try to find the company when I get home.

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I'am going to be running hummer rims on my rig soon.. First of all the rims are alreadly 8 lug and will fit a chevy without changing the bolt pattern. Second they run a magnesium spacer and not aluminum in the rims with 8 bolts holding them together and i belive a plastic one on the newer style with 12 bolts. Yes they are legal to use on the street. the problem is that they have 7" of backspaceing and thats to much for a chevy with leaf springs and stock tie rod locations. The ones seen on TTC were on a truck with uni-mog axles... yumm.. So all you need to do is change the backspacing , this can be done quite easily , there is a company www.4wdfactory.com that sells cnc water jet cut centers that will put the backspaceing at somthing like 3". If your close to them you could have them do the welding , but i'am going to just find a local place to keep shipping costs down. I think the centers are like 50 bucks a piece..

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

No conversion necassary. Well that is if you have the room for 7" of back spacing. Pm Boss, we did his hummer wheel conversion thing at my dads machine shop. Took me forever to figure out what we were going to do. Finally got my head on. Basically we just cut most of the stock center out, using the plasma cutter. Then welded in the new one.

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The company that Peterson's did the artical on is
    www.twistedcustoms.com Good luck getting them to return
    an email or phone call. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Here is the deal on the Hummer rims:
    First, the older style uses a magnesium run flat which I suggest trimming down unless you are running 38+ tires! The newer style rims are 12 bolts and are made a lot differently!!! They use a rubber runflat which is a pain in the A$$ to put in and wears on the tires everytime you change them! Therefor you need new runflats when you change tires with the rubber ones! To change the backspacing, you need someone that can weld "GOOD" cause these things are running down the street at 80+ MPH and you're in the truck! Second, to be able to cut the centers out, you're going to need a plasma cutter, sawzall blades dull way too quickly and by the time you get through, you could have bought a plasma cutter! They are very easy to modify, you just have to have the tools and the patiance to balence them...

About Twisted! The last time I talked to them, they wanted $200 to modify "A" rim!!!! Plus the cost of the rims, plus shipping! That's $1000 in Modification and you have too supply the rims and get them to them!!!!

About 4WDFactory! They sell the centers for $50 but if you have a decent local machine shop, they can usually make them alot cheaper! Mine were made for $20 a center!

Last, The reason I know this all is cause I'm a Military Mech and I have a couple sets of Rims, Modified... Brian(Blk87K5), also knows a lot about this cause he modified my first set and helped me get the centers done! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif