Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Rims on a K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Ok I know they will bolt up (I have 8 lug) but I also know they have some weird backspacing will they work?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

2. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

you can use 1"-1.5" wheel spacers and the will Thats what im gona do I payed 25bucks a piece for mine! My friends and I did some testing with them we pulled the valve stem core's(zero air pressure) and went to rasin He// with the truck(70'sinternational crew cab Dana 70 front /Rockwell rear 4.88 gears 4 speed ) we could not get the tire to spin on the rim nor the bead to come off!! Just dont run on the run flat for to long oryour tire will be toast! O yea there are 2 different designs one has around 8 studs to hond the rim togetherW/an aluimnum runflat the other has 12 bolts with a2 piece rubber R F

3. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

I think the backspacing might be too much. They work well with narrow rigs with full width axles. I have thought about using them myself, but Stephen at ORD talked me out of it. He knows more about them, so maybe post this on his forum. Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Hm. I was told that the runflats were actually magnesium, not aluminum.

Runnin' them (w/ the 8 studs) on my truck, no prob's, though one tire does has a steady but slow leak.

--Rob

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Any pics of your K5 witht he Hummer rims Ryeguy?

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have always heard stories of people running on flats with magnesium wheels and them catching fire (magnesium burns feircely once you get it started its very hard to put out and burns at thousands degrees) I'm not saying anyone is wrong just sounds like a bad idea to me. The ones I have always run had the rubber runflat

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

From everything I've heard (do a search) the Hummer wheels have such huge backspacing that they hit all over the place and are pretty much useless. The only way to use them is to provide a 4" (or so) spacer. I would love to be wrong since they are so cheap...

I have often wondered if they would work on a D60 (and C14) from wide axle dually.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

there are 5 models of these rims but the only two run flats are a two piece magnisum and a solid rubber piece. 'the spacers will work for the rims and some setups have no problem, the backspacing is huge so the rim can clear the geared hub. There a great rim if you can get them to clear.