Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer rims on the street?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Mar 2, 2005.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

hey guys, I have a question about running stock hummer rims. I've been planning on getting some for a while now...but decided I better find out a few things before I decide for sure to go that route....as it will determine what axels I buy, possibly what tires, etc. is there any drawbacks to running them on a street driven truck? obviously they add some weight, but...is there anything like safety issues to worry about? would there be any problem going highway speeds with them, maybe a little more occasionally?:whistle: my K5 isn't my DD, but I wanna keep it capable of being, if I wanted it to, and it will see plenty of street time. I wanna run them for several reasons, not the least of which, being the double beadlocks, of course. but I'd prefer to keep the stock backspacing because...I just love the way they look. but I didn't know if the deep B.S., or anything else about them, might cause any concerns on the road. thanks for any help you can give me on this.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I would have no problems running them on the street, and for the record that are not much heavier than a stock rim with say a Rockstomper single beadlock added on.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

if you get the 12bolt ones they are even DOT approved, but you will need to run a dually axle in the front and a wheel spacer or dually axle in the back to make a stock hummer rim work.

4. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run 8 bolt hummerwheels with 40 mm (1.6 inches) spacers on my M1008 DD works really well for me.

5. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Here's a picture of a friends Scout Traveler with the eight lug. He ran these for a couple years DD no problem. Just make sure you get straight ones!

I've got a set I'm putting on a Scout II with 3/4 Chevy front and a Dana 60 rear. The off set is great for this application. Have to watch high seer arms for clearence.

[​IMG]

6. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Here's the inner double beadlock I'm running.
    [​IMG]

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

8 bolt versions are DOT as well. That is until you recenter them (8 or 12 bolt).

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Can someone tell me what DOT regulation makes beadlocks illegal?

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Beats me. I think the reason the H1 rims are legal is because they are a 2 piece rim with inserts for beadlocks. Back in the 60's, 2 piece rims were very common on many trucks. Both work in the same way but your standard beadlocks aren't 'legal' :dunno:

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I don't think it has anything to do with the beadlock. They don't want a bunch of unmonitered modified wheels on the road.

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have never seen an 8 bolt Hummer rim w/ a DOT stamp... but ALL of the 12 bolts have one.

12. pineyjon

pineyjon Registered Member

i have a set of eight bolts that have the dot stamp

13. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

they shouldnt give you a problem on the highway. i drove my 86 with the humvee rims (8 bolt) about 200 miles on the high way almost every weekend. and about 20 miles on the high way each day for work. lets just say my 38.5's didn last to long :mad:

14. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not to hijack or anythig but Poohbair, seen this and remembered this post. You can see the DOT stamp to the top right. Borrowed this off of a local site, not mine.
    [​IMG]

15. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

Got about 30 sets of 8 bolts and the ones I took the time to look over had it. I will say I like the 12 bolt design better. Looks beefier. BTW, any body want to buy some hummer rims:grin:

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

got a price?? :)

17. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys. one other thing I forgot to mention...the wheels I'm getting have the runflats...will these cause any problems? and as far as the axles go...I already knew I was gonna have to use dually axles. I know a stock DRW dana 60 for the front, but what about the back? IIRC, I think you use a dually D70, and swap SRW 14 bolt hubs on to get just the right width, right? but I believe someone said you can also use a newer(92 & up?) 14 bolt, to get the right width, is this right? I would prefer to go this route if possible, as I would rather have a 14 bolt than a D70...but I would rather not use spacers if I can avoid it. but as far as that goes...did someone say you can run 1.6" spacers on a SRW 14 bolt to run these rims? if so, I might do that, just until I can find the right axle, since I already have a SRW 14b. sorry for all the questions, and again, thanks for the help.

18. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have the DRW D60 in the front and the DRW D70HD in the back w/ the Hummer rims. If I remember right when I measured them, the back was about 2.5" narrower than the front... pretty much what it is on a stock K5 so I am not too worried about spacing out the rearend. If I ever put disc's on the back I may put FF14 bolt hubs on it to space it out about an inch each side, but it is fine the way it is.