Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer rims Radial vs Bias ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70~K5, Jun 19, 2002.

1. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

On military Hummer Rims what is the strength etc of Radial wheels vs. Bias ply wheels? Is there a reson to run one vs the other? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You can run bias or radial tires on the radial rims, but only bias tires on the bias rims.

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

The main difference is the Radial uses 12 studs/nuts to hold the outer rim in and the Bias uses 8. The Bias will have Magnesium runflats and the Radial will typically come with Rubber. I'm sure you can use the rubber runflats in the bias or the mags in the radial, but I'm not 100% on that. You can run Bias tires on the Radial wheels and I "heard" you can do vise versa. The preferred route to go are the Radials (b/c of the 12 stud/nuts), but they typically are spendier. As far as the actual strength of the wheels, I don't think there is a difference. I went with the Bias since I found a really good deal on them, and you can usually find them for a good deal...
    Boss

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I was told that you could run radial tires on the 8 bolt twp piece rim buy a guy that runs a military museum and deals in of military vehicles and equipment. He told me they went to 12 bolt rims because troops were getting confused when changing tires with a rim with two sets of 8 bolts. I'm not sure if it's true though i've been trying to find out myself.
    rugger

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I'm asking cause there's a guy on Pirate that can get me either for $75.00+ $30.00 ea shipping. Is this a decent price for 12 bolt radial rims with mag run-flats? What's the going price to have new centers welded in? Or should I go with dually axles F&R? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good price for the Radial version with the Mags included. FYI, I bought 5 Bias versions for $300 total, which included the Mags as well.
    I'm welding in the centers myself, but I heard some places that does them for a lot of $$$. You'll be good up front if you go dually, but you don't have to go dually for the rear if you have a disc conversion (not sure on drums, but I don't think it'll work (this is for a 14 rear btw))... The 7" BS will clear fine. You'd probably want to runs a large spacer to accomidate the different track widths from the front and rear though...
    Boss

8. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

depending on the tire you plan on useing the reason for biased rim and a radial rim is the run flat system is made specifically for the goodyear wranglers the biased tires bead is alot thinner then that of a radial so if you put the biased on a radial rim you will have a space in between the run flat and the bead i think like a 1/4" other then that the other diff is load cap it was 2850 for the bias and 3850 per wheel for the radial ant the offset is diff between the to the radial is about 3/4" deeper than a biased these are just numbers off the top OMH but pm me if you want and i can look the exact specs up in my shop manuals!!!