Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HUMMER RIMS...SUM IT UP PLEASE.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Feb 25, 2003.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I AM ABOUT TO PURCHASE NEW WHEELS FOR MY 86 K2500 SUBURBAN.I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING REALLY HEAVY DUTY LIKE MAYBE HUMMER WHEELS.I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND THE ANSWERS TO.WHAT KIND OF CONFIGURATION DO I WANT?THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER BUT I DO LIKE TO WHEEL ON THE WEEKENDS.THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS ...MAGNESIUM RUN FLATS,TUBE CENTERS,PLATE CENTERS,BEADLOCKS ETC....WHAT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE WHEELING SETUP AND STILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT EVERYDAY?

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Can't answer your question. But, Where are you at in Va?

3. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Virginia Beach!You?

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

the nicest setup ive seen is the mag run flat with the bead locks...saw Boss run a set at paragon up in PA last year and he had his 39s aired down to like 4 PSI and they held to the rim...

the only thing you need to worry about if youre driving it everyday is making sure the centers are perfect so the wheel wont wobble or be off-center while you drive...i would have a shop do the center cutting/rewelding if you drive it everyday

by the way...im in richmond

Later

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

It was a neat sight to see that little amount of air in his tires, and then stay on the entire trip.....I thought for sure they were gonna come off......

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

its a shame though, that due to the low air pressure he lost a good bit of traction and couldnt do that well coming down the m trail extension...

Later

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I got some for my Suburban, I just need to recenter them. I have the magnesium run flat. Here's a good post from the pirate board about recentering:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98104

If you don't know the differance between the wheels here's a short explanation. The magnesium runflats have 8 bolts that hold the 2 pieces of rim together. The rubber runflats have 12 bolts that hold the 2 pieces of rim together.

Hope this helps.

8. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

how are the beadlocks on the street?I know they are not DOT approved or anything but what about vibration?Can you balance beadlocks?Sorry if this sounds stupid I have just never had any before.

9. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Chesapeake.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Check out the new Hummer beadlock post over at POR. A guy over there had a guy put some new centers in his and this guy make wheels for Hollywood. They are really nice with raised and degreed lug holes liek the factory, contour center plate that will resist bending better than a flat plate, and a machined mounting surface that will help keep the lug tight!!!! And they are decently priced too!
    As for the beadlock/runflat part, the best set-up I have seen is Daniels(USA6x6) beadlock. It has no runflat so it wont interfere when you air'em down for offroad.

Here is the link to the hummer wheels done by the Hollywood guy:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117980

11. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

JIMs70K5 that is one sweet truck you have there!!Do much wheelin' around here?

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Hummer beadlocks are heavy. USA6X6 will make you what ever BS you want and ship them for about $180 each

Hummer beadlocks are DOT approved, the only Ring-style beadlock that *I* know of that is.

BTW, your caps lock button is to the right...

13. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Thanks. There was several places(craney island, off victory blvd, off volvo pkwy, sandbridge) now they have been graded/cleared and industrial parks have popped up. There's a couple places off Joliff Rd(chesapeake), but the lands for sale probably end up being another industrial park. Mainly head down to the outer banks and ride on the beach. Got a cousin in Elizabeth City w/ property. Not much else unless you head west.

14. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

yeah with summer comin' I'm tryin' to get my truck ready for Hatteras!