Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hummer rims with crossover steering question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, May 21, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah yeah I know i'm gonna get hammered on this one. What I need to know is if hummer rims with the 7" BS will fit on a D44 8 lug front end with crossover steering? If not normally, can it be made to? I may use 1" spacers but not if i dont have to.

Oh yeah before someone says it'll be too narrow for a blazer....it's for a jeep and it'll be about 2" wider than stock. Thanks

Bryan

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

PM Grim, I think a guy(Toby) in our club did this w/ an EB. They come with D44s & x-over. I know he had Hummer rims on it but I don't know what it took to make them work

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well they will bolt to the axle no problem as far as I know. I don't even think you would have to grind for a D44 the problem is the offset. They have MAJOR offset. Something like 6 inches. Toby runs full width D60's under his EB. Those year Bronco's are about 6 inches narrower than a K5. They also have Coil front suspension. Where that is important is that there will not be the spring tire interference issue when you go full turn. On the Bronco with Full width axles it works out quite nice.
    I saw somewhere that what a lot of peopls are doing is cutting out the center of the hummer rim leaving the area where the halves bolt together. Then they put in a new center with a 4 inch or so back spacing. I forgot where I saw that. Might be one of the mags had it in it and it was recent.
    Here is Toby's web page. It's a awsome truck! Hated to see him move from ATL to CO. He's pretty well known here.
    http://webpages.charter.net/tt4wd/tillbuilt/tillbuilt.html

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

The article with the hummer rims was in Petersons about 2 months ago. I called and they want about $250 to do it to your hummer rims.

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Any competent machine shop can handle that job, and i bet it would be cheaper than getting them to do it.

6. bigjbear

I wasn't thinking about the springs. That may be hard to work around. You could move the long side in- but the short side might be a problem.

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'm about to do that on these hummer wheels I'm about to get. (remove the centers and weld in new ones). I'm going for eitehr 4.5" BS or 4.75". I'm confident in my skillz, so we'll see how it goes.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

8. bigjbear

I'd like to see how they turn out when you get them done.

9. davido

davido Registered Member

I'm trying to do the same with a D60 front. Is this more commong?

GM D60 / Hummer Wheels / Crossover Steering

Does anyone know of any vendors for the dog legged arms?