Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer rims...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Dec 26, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

So i have my dually front end and am going to be needing some h1 rims. so heres what i need to know... how the hell do they work:confused: i know they are 2 pieces, they have either 8 or 12 bolts...but when it comes to the run flats and o rings and making the double beadlocks work thats where i get lost... i have never heard an explanation of then so i have no idea. anyone got pics? thanks guys!

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

somebody...

3. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

i cant offer any info ''highjack on'' but if you run hummer rims on the front of a DRW 60 what do you run in the rear, do you run a DRW 14 or 70 or a SRW, or do you run the rims flipped so the back spacing is facing outward, excuase me for the NEWB????? but i want to run my DRW 60 the way it is with hummer rims but not sure how to set it up. sorry for the highjack and i will delete my post if needed ''highjack off'', jason.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

srw &drw 14 bolts are the same width (except cab and chassis which are 63" not 67") dana 70s are 72" and came in some 1 ton chevy trucks. for the rear a 14 will work, you might need spacers but not sure or you could go d-70

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok here how they work,

the rear bead seat and the width of the rim is one piece, it has a flange with eather 8 or 12 studs, the front bead seat, has a matching flange with 8 or 12 holes the 2 piece bolt togeather over a o ring to seal in the air.

the run flat or pvc insert is what makes then beadlocks though,

the run flat is the width of the inside of the rin Minus the with of both beads, and going inside the tire, when you tighten the 8 bolts togeather, it
    sandwichs the rim to the tire to the runflat to the tire to the rim, clamping ti all in place.

i cant link you right there but go to www.usa6x6.com, and click products, then military double beadlocks, then "how to assemble your double beadlocks"

there are step by step instructions AND pics so you should get a good idea

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats kinda what i thought, so i need the runflats, ill keep that in mind. now they made pvc and magnesium 2 piece ones right? which ones better? and where do i get new o rings? 6x6 have em? im not tol thrilled on the idea of doing business there but i guess there getting better...

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yeah i see them at 6x6, im just not thrilled with the idea of doin business with daniel:o

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you going to run drw hubs and stock hummers then you dont have to deal with him

LOTS of hummer rims out there, hell i seen some for sale in the forums here, with hubs and 14ff spacers for really cheap too, way cheaper then recentering the rims.

i mearly had you go there to see the instalation procese to get an idea of how they work.

as for the inserts i am not sure the mag one also have the run flat feature, good and bad.

if you want to air way down the runflat will limit the tire sidewall flex. so you have to run pvc or cut the run flats down.
    the run flats might come in handy in getting off the trail or road if you get a flat.

the pvc ones will cost you more as they will not come with stock wheels, but they are a little lighter if that makes much differance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

You don't have to run runflats. You only need them for the double beadlock feature. The wheels will stay on just like on any 16.5 rim as long as they are aired up.

The mag runflat inserts really need to be cut down to work offroad. When you air down and then pinch the sidewall between a rock and the runflat they can and will cut through a sidewall.

The PVC inserts can be had from www.starzworks.com and I think you can get the Orings through John there also. If you buy your rims online and have them shipped the price of not having the mag runflats shipped is about half of what it costs for the PVC insterts.

Stay away from rubber insterts, they weigh about 50# a pc and are a real PIA to get into the tires for assembly.

The O rings are available through Mcmaster carr, part number 9452K451 www.mcmaster.com

For the rear if you run a 14 bolt get a set of dually front 60 hubs of ebay dirt cheap and walla they fit on the 14 bolt, same bearings and spacing, different seal ( I don't have the part number on me)

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

are you saying that front hubs off a d60 will fit a 14 bolt rearend? :eek1: how much wdier does that make the track? and do you use a d60 seal or 14 bolt? how would the axles bolt up?

11. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

if the 60 hubs ( DRW ) fit onto a 14 bolt could you put 14 bolt hubs on a front 60 to convert it to SRW, or do dana 70 hubs fit, jason.

12. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

The ends would need to be machined for the axle bolt pattern and correct width. The seal I believe is custom using D60 OD and 14bolt ID. Look on Pirate for more info, there is a thread there about 3 months back.

Jason you could but I think the 14bolt hub would be narrower to the axle mounting area and is not splined internally to accept the manual hub or drive slug.

13. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

The other option that I have looked at is to run a regular single rear wheel hub with the Ford DRW spacer. On some Ford duallies (and I have heard dodge also) they use a spacer that is 8 on 6.5 on each end. I believe the IFS GMs use this on duallies also. You bolt one side onto the hub and the other has lug studs for the wheel. It may require turning down of the rear hub or the ID of the spacer for fit as the 14bolt rear hubs have a larger center than the D60 fronts do I think.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  14. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

This is the setup I am using and I love it. DRW D60 in the front and a van width (70" wms to wms) 14ff in the rear. The difference is noticable if you look closely but not a large concerne to me at the moment. The hummer beadlocks are one of the best investments I have made into my truck besides a locker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i didnt see any spacers. just drw hubs. i think the inside dia of the ifs dulley adaptors that bolt on will be to small. and i dont think thay are thickenuff to cut out and still be strong.

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

18. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Look at these, they are ford dually set ups. Unlike Chevy if you look at it they are bolted to the hub. You can see the ends of the bolts. You can unbolt them and press in studs to remove them from the fords so I don't see why you can't put them on a chevy axle. Provided you can fit them over the 14bolt hub without removing too much material.

duallyford.jpg

19. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

20. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know the inside diameter of the Ford bearing hubs?
    I can run outside and measure the hubs of my 14 bolt and Eaton.

I am definitely interested in this swap. I need to get my Eaton a tad wider.