Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hummer rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sledheadak, Oct 21, 2006.

1. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

anybody have any problems with the 8 bolt wheels?if so what problems?or should we only run the 12 bolt wheels?

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

There isn't a thing wrong with the 8 bolt H1's. The 12 bolts are just rated for a higher load etc. With all the extra armor etc the military was using they chose to make abetter rated rim. For our rigs, which are sometimes lighter than when they left the factory (depending of course) the 8 bolts are fine.

I chose 8 bolts because I know they would be plenty good, and with the 12's being rated better, the price is usually/always higher. 12 bolts do have the advantage of having 4 more bolts to hold the wheel together, but I doubt you'de ever know the difference running the 8's.

Folks have been running the 8 bolts for years with hardly any issues.

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I was told they changed to 12 bolt rims because the first step in the tire changing procedure say remove the 8 lug nuts and some guys were breaking down the wheel by removing the clamp nuts instead and were getting injured. Could be snoped though I have no proof of this. I think 12s look cooler but dont really think there is much of a "performance" difference.

Ira

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The other difference between IIRC them is the 8-bolts have the Magnesium run-flat and the 12-bolts have a rubber run-flat.