Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Aug 5, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I think original Hummer Rims came with 7" backspacing. Can someone either correct me or verify this? Thanks.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Doesn't answer your questiom, but look .

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Okay, I looked. (Just not sure why.)
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure it's 7 inches, if not it's real close to that. You either have to have them modified to run on a standard axle (Dana 60 dana 44 etc.) or run dually hubs on the front axle. On a standard axle they will come in contact with your steering components.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

This gives me two thought:

1 - Convert front D60 to dually and run rims as made. Then use 1.5" spacers on rear 14B. (Not sure if this would line up right.)

2 - Convert all rims.

Any more thoughts?

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I am going to run dually hubs and spacers. I have a Van 14 bolt, also. Haven't done the math yet to see how big of a spacer I will need. The only draw back to this that I see will be if I decide to run a different wheel in the future. Guess I will just have to get a set of Std Wheel hubs as well.

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

2 - Convert all rims.

Any more thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my .02 is to get the rims modified. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Like roddzilla mentioned you would have to run those stock hummer rims and 16.5 tires until you decided to change everything back so you could run standard backspaced rims and bigger diameter rims for bigger tires.

Eric

8. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

HMMWV wheels are 8.25" wide with 7" BS. They are 8 lug, and 16.5" in diameter. Most come with runflats.

I am putting stock HMMWV wheels on my truck with the stock 36" tires until I get some stuff sold, and then I'm switching to 42's. The reason I can do this, is because I pieced my D60 together, and I got Dually hubs on purpose.

Dually hubs add 3" to each side. So I will be running an 8.25" wide wheel, with 4" BS in front, and 7" BS in the rear (essentially).

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

why don't you turn the back around and run 1.25" backspacing, with the fact that the rear is like 2" narrower, that will mean they will look like 2.25" backspacing.... Just a thought! Also, if you use a Dually rear, you can run the rear just like the front and they will match! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why don't you turn the back around and run 1.25" backspacing, with the fact that the rear is like 2" narrower, that will mean they will look like 2.25" backspacing.... Just a thought! Also, if you use a Dually rear, you can run the rear just like the front and they will match! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]That would be wayy too wide

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

But you could run rear dually hubs and then run them like the front to be 4" backspacing..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Why would I do that? It's just a wheelin rig, I don't really care if the tires match. I can spend the money on other things like an orbital valve, or something like that.

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Hey Burblover... check this out clicky . Don't know if this helps or not. I'm still thinking about going with hummer rims and I would rather pay for custom rims then modify my d60 to a dually setup. Never know what I might want in the future. I might be wrong, but a dually setup seems like it would have limitations, again I might be wrong.

14. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I actually looked at that already. I figured 65 a piece isn't bad. The down side is shipping to & fro. That is why I'm gonna check local to see if someone can do it. Otherwise, I might jsut send one rim at a time there.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

16. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Actually I do have something against Daniel. I ordered a set of his PVC beadlocks and it took almost 6 weeks to get them. Not only were they late in getting here, the box that they came in basically fell apart the minute UPS gave it to me. I have not been the only person with problems form here so I really don't recommend going with him.

On the other hand I had my wheels cut and recenters by the place that Emmotology mentioned. I got it for $100 a wheel but that was a group discount. And you have to provide the rim. I think it's normally 125 a wheel. It may be pricey but well worth it.

I have pics of them on that post that is linked to Pirate. Look at page 2 towards the bottom. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

For recenters, just another option, try 4wdfactory! I think they want $50 a center plus install which comes to about $100 a rim normally! I hear they do great work! I modified my own, so unless your brave, I wouldn't do it again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I sure hope that they spend more time on checking the quality of their products than they did on their business cards! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've never heard of "Acylene Welding". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

19. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Here's our current hummer rim recipe:
    Dually front
    fleetside dually D70 rear with single wheel 14 bolt hubs
    Comes out the same track width

This is really nice if you find a fleetside dually to get all the gear from. Otherwise the axle might be hard to find.

20. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stephen,

Do you have to modify the 14 bolt hub or the D70 to make the rear work or what. Give us more info. I am presently running the D60 Dually Front with a Van 14BFF with spacers to make everything work. I would like to eliminate the spacers if possible, but they haven't given me any problems yet, even with the 42's.