Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nicks 72, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

Does anyone have an opinion about using military hummer tires, 37x12.5x16.5 for street and wheeling.Are the sidewalls too stiff? I see people selling these used and was wondering anyone has any expierience using/buying them.

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I ran them on my truck for about 1.5 years. they rode excellent on pavement, weeling--well-- i was always scared to air them down too low, but for all intensive purposes they were also a good tire in the dirt and rocks. I had one tire that was a retread and it would chunk some nice nobs once in a while. it had a disticntion (can't remember exactly what it was) on its sidewall (found out after i bought it.) all the other tires didn't chunk. I got mine for $25 a peice so i didn't complain too much.

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I ran mine for a few years and then went bigger. But while I had them they did O.K. Rode great on the street and did well offroad. They didn't domintae in any one area, but they did o.k. in all. The one area they did suck badly was mud. The just didn't have enough lug depth or an aggressive enough lug pattern to move the sticky stuff. So they would clog up and be slicks in no time.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Officially they are load range E, but they seem pretty flexible...granted that's on a 7000 lb Humvee (or more if you add armor, .50 cal, mortar tubes...etc). I don't care for them, but if the price is right you can't go wrong...except for being 16.5s.

5. Nicks 72

Thanx guys for the info. What is wrong with the 16.5 rims? This brings up a question I had about why everyone wants to go through the trouble to run 15 inch on original 8 lug axles? Is it because you have more sidewall or cushion with a smaller rim?

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

more people run 15 inch rims because the tires are generaly cheaper.

the 16.5 rim has something to do with the safty bead on them.

the tires are bias and some/many people have had problems with the tire comeing off at low psi.

i have hurd 15 -20 being ok for some and 25psi the bead was comeing of for others.

7. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

AFAIK the Hummer tires (Goodyear Wrangler MT 37x12.5/16.5) are radial.

On the very first however, Hummvees were equipped with bias Wrangler RT (36x12.5/16.5).

Regards.
    Walter

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Basically what Dark Shadow said. The 15" tires are cheaper and more to choose from. And the 16.5's don't have th safty bead that the 15's have. Meaning with a 15" rim you can air down to 10 with not too many problems. if you do that with a 16.5" rim you will more than likely loose a bead.

9. Nicks 72

That kinda sucks if you cant air down with a 16.5 rims. When you run 14 bolts and dana 60s in the front and use 15 inch rims do they use rims with 8 lugs or 6?

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Unless you're planning to NEVER run beadlocks, I think the concern over 16.5" wheels is bogus.... once you beadlock your wheels, they work just as well as anything else. Mine have been at 3 psi and never lost a bead (Beadlocked 16.5")

15" Wheels also have some drawbacks....like the grinding you have to do to clear the calipers on a front D60.

Ultimately, both 15" and 16.5" tires have a pretty nice selection of tires available.... which makes either one a better choice than a standard 16" wheel....at least when you start looking at the larger tires.

11. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a set but as i recall they are only 36's you can buy them at sears. They are also made by goodyear.( atleast the ones he has are) Plus they are radials. He liked them alot cool looking tread if you ask me. 90% tread also. By the way they are forsale if you live near maryland. 16.5 rim on jackman rims. 400 bucks takes them. not dry rotted