Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hummer tires ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willymonster, Jan 5, 2007.

1. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

when i picked up my hummer beadlocks the other day they came with 5 decent tires . they are the bias ply ones anybody run these ? ive heard they were not really that great but you cant listen to everything you hear . the tread actually looks like it might be o.k. i wont be running them but maybey somebody could:laugh:

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I guess they are ok, but I have not been impressed with them when on HMMWV's

3. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

I hear the sidewalls tear easy, but are okay for street use.

Dan

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Lots of people run those. Give 'em a try and see if they work for you.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have run them on and off for a few years. They flat spot pretty bad but they will center out after a few miles.
    Most of them that I have run are pretty easy to balance.
    The tread life is OK, as can be expected of any tire like that.
    The sidewalls are stronger than a BFG MT

6. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

i wont usem but ill probably sell them , theyre just not big enough . what do ya think 150.oo for the 5 be fair for somebody :laugh:

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I know a guy that runs them "for now" while he's upgrading other aspects of his truck. He isn't that impressed with them, but feels they are OK ... and a great alternative until he is able to get something better.

I just sold him a set of 5, that were almost new, 2 of them were brand new, for 50.00 for the set... so he's not complaining. He was a little more impressed with them because being newer, they had better tread, and the rubber compound was still pretty soft. So, he's actually been pretty happy with this set. But he still plans to get some IROKs later.

8. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Ooooh, an opportunity to pic whore. Heres my truck, with my hummer tires and for the 250 bucks I paid for all four I don't think I could have beat that. They flat spot pretty good but round out quick. I havn't gotten stuck yet, but I havn't really pushed them either. Im running mine untill I find something else, oh and did I mention... They were cheap! :D

~Brian

IMG_1370.jpg

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've got them on Big Ugly on the stock rims.
    [​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

They do flat spot but a little trick I use is when I start the truck to immediately roll it forward half a quarter turn or so. Seems to help "round out" the flat spots. I forgot once and man, they shook like a mofo...but then again the "balancing job" on these is pretty crappy...

I personally think the reasons these have a bad reputation are that people compare them to modern tires and purpose made offroad tires and also HMMWV related myths. These are a nearly 30 year old design and also were made with the intention of being used under a HMMWV EVERYWHERE. They weren't meant to conquer mud bogs or rock crawl, just be good all-around tires for use under a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle in many conditions.
    Also consider that HMMWV's are underpowered and HEFTY before you uparmor them. I've used these in sand and mucky stuff with HMMWV's and not been impressed...but then on a rocky, loose soil, dry hill climb they kicked butt. So when some GI comes home and says they suck people think they do because the majority of the talk about them comes from the military... Put the same tires under something with some better power and lighter weight and they aren't so bad.

I'm also told some siping and grooving makes the tread much more effective offroad. I happen to have a siping/grooving knife and one of these days winter is finally going to arrive...

Also don't confuse the 36x12.5-16.5 Wrangler RT/II bias plies with the 37x12.5R16.5 Wrangler MT's. Those are the ones with the chevron type tread...they're sidewalls are infamously thin (I happen to know of a set that was rubbed through when another HMMWV rubbed tires with it) and seem to be much more road oriented. I'd buy another set of these RT/II's in a minute but I'd avoid the MT's like the plague.

10. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Just wondering:
    Stock rims on M1008 are 16". Do the 16.5 Bias tires fit well? :confused:

Walter

11. AJMBLAZER

No, the stock rims are 16.5x6.25 (might be x6.5), standard GM 8 lug wheels of the era.

They balloon a bit but seem to be doing fine. If I got new radial tires I'd get different wheels too but these work great so far for the RT/II's.

12. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

My m1008 definitely came with stock carc painted 16" rims, I already have a set of rtII tires I was going to mount up, but now I have to search for some 16.5" rims. Every srw k30 std cab I have seen has come with 16" rims as well.

Remington

13. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure they all were delivered with 16" rims. According to the manuals the only tire size for all CUCV's except the M1009 is 235/85 R16.

However some of the army Dodge W200 models did have the 16.5 rims.

Walter

14. AJMBLAZER

Hrm...guess I was wrong...coulda sworn they had 16.5's when I was in but then again I guess I can't say for sure...doh...:doah:

The place I bought it from strikes again! At least the wheels are actually 16.5's...

15. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

So, the Wrangler MTs arent any good???

16. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

100% sure that the tires are 36x12.5x16.5 I have a set on my m1008. Dont remember what came stock on the Blazer but my truck has 16.5 rims and they look stock.

17. AJMBLAZER

BigBlaze...if you're speaking of the 37x12.5-16.5 Wrangler MT's (tread like this - \/\/\/\/\/ ) I guess they're better than some Wrangler GS-A's or highway tread...or (m)all terrain...but I'd take the 36x12.5-16.5 RT/II's any day. I'd bet the MT's do pretty good in dry, sandy stuff but they never impressed me much for driving around under a 7000lb HMMWV or in the little bit of general offroading I did in my time with them. The RT/II seemed to do just as well on the street and had plenty of traction for what we did with them.

18. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

WillyMonster, could you check on shipping to Los Angeles, 90038?

Might be best to "Go Greyhound" to the Hollywood station:D

If you PM me with an email address I'll give you mine so you can send pics;)

19. Big Ol'Chevy

Big Ol'Chevy Registered Member

If BKinzey doesn't get the tires from you, then give me a hallor, and I will come over the pass and pick them up.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  20. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I know they`re a bias ply tire, but how many miles could be gotten out of the rtIIs?