Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Vs Honda.... in az, store owner in car crush, not a repost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Jun 16, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

The family of one of the four men chased down by a Valley business owner in a Hummer is upset about the incident.

It started shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday, when Mr. Insurance near 13th Avenue and Camelback Road was robbed. The four suspects, at least one of which was reportedly armed, took off with the owner of the business in hot pursuit.

The chase barreled through neighborhoods, ending near Seventh Avenue and Indian School. The suspects' vehicle crushed under the business owner's Hummer.

"The owner of the store chased them. He took it upon himself to try and stop it, which I think is wrong," said Guadalupe Valesquez, a relative of one of the suspects. "He should have let authorities do it. He could have hurt an innocent bystander. ... Maybe this wouldn't have happened if he wouldn't have chased them."

Two of the four suspects are in the hospital. The other two took off after the accident, but police caught up with them a short time later.

There's no word yet on whether the driver of the Hummer will face charges.

another version..

Suzanne Bissett reports

What began as an armed robbery ended with a chase and a wreck -- a Hummer sitting on top of another vehicle -- that sent two people to the hospital Saturday evening.

While the suspect vehicle was nothing more than a pile of twisted metal, the Hummer appeared barely scratched.
    According to Phoenix police, it was just before 7 p.m. when three armed suspects reportedly walked into Mr. Insurance near 13th Avenue and Camelback Road and demanded money from the owner.

The suspects got away with some cash, but it didn't end there. Police said the owner of the store went after the suspects in his Hummer. The store owner didn't just chase the suspects, he ran them down -- rolling his Hummer over their four-door vehicle.

"I've been doing this job for about 14 years and I have not seen this kind of accident scene, where a vehicle is actually sitting on top of another vehicle," said Lt. Mark Hafkey of the Phoenix Police Department.

The Hummer chased the suspect vehicle through the neighborhood, eventually stopping it near Seventh Avenue and Indian School Road.

"He managed to roll on top of the suspect vehicle," Hafkey said.

"I heard tires screeching and everything," said Willy Ross, a witness. "I thought maybe the guy driving the Hummer was drunk or something, on drugs, the way he was driving."

Several witnesses saw the chase as the two vehicles barreled through their neighborhoods.

"The guy in the Hummer was speeding pretty bad," Ross said. "He was ... out of control coming through the neighborhood."

Two suspects were taken to a nearby hospital. At last check they were in critical condition. Two more managed to get away, but police caught up with them a short time later.

It's not clear yet if the driver of the Hummer will face charges. Police do, however, have some advice for anyone considering taking the law into his own hands -- don’t.

"I'd recommend that nobody chase a violent suspect as these four apparently are," Hafkey said.

watch the news clip here

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that fawkin rules!!!! w00t!!! its bad that the hummer driver was (apparently) driving really recklessley and therefore endangering civilians... that said, those crooks who tried to rip him off got what they deserved. Man, that musta been scary sitting in a 1.6L-powered honda econobox while a 7000+ lb rig rolled over the top of ya! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif damn criminals.

naturally, this will only add to the Hummer legend... H1/2 sales are prolly already going up..

j

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Unreal...

I would guess this guy will prolly get charged...then sued. He is lucky he never hurt anyone other than the bad guys. Can you imagine if he had run someone's kid over before getting the Honda?/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The moral of the story is: don't have a honda as a getaway vehicle since the damn thing couldn't even get away from a 6.5 powered Hummer! I can't blame the store owner, if I were in his shoes after I crushed their rollerskate, I woulda beat the hell outta ever last one of 'em! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Thievin' bastards...

5. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    "The guy in the Hummer was speeding pretty bad," Ross said. "He was ... out of control coming through the neighborhood."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, he is going just as fast as the other car and going down the same roads. Which implys that the other car was speeding pretty badly to get away from him. Why don't they say that. I hate the news. They always slant everything. Don't mind that this guy was robbed at gun point but the fact he was "driving wrecklessly" is worse. Even though the first car, Which would have been going the same speed, would have scared all the pedestrians off the street.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is always the question though...how bad would the Honda have been speeding/being reckless if there wasn't a guy behind him in a Hummer hell bent on crushing them like a bug?

At least if the cops had been chasing them the sirens and stuff would have given most people a decent warning.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for the theiving bastards...I just think things could have been much worse as far as bystanders goes. Unfortunately I would not be surprised if the Hummer owner gets charged and sued...

Vigilante justice is never right, that's why we pay cops to do the job for us.

Rene

7. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hmmm, the Honda must not have had one of those 2 foot tall wings on the back and a garbage can exhaust tip if a Humvee could catch it and use it as a parking block /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. That store owner needs a bumper sticker: "My Diesel is faster than your Honda" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yea? WEll I feel safer with a 9mm in my hand rather than some guy on the phone saying "we're sending a patrol unit"
    That guy got what he deserved, even if the suspects died in the honda, [naughty word] em. Criminals are the scum of society, if they die, i dont give a [naughty word].
    Major Props to the guy in the hummer

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't take this the wrong way but some of the time the people we pay to do their jobs don't do their jobs so somebody's gotta do it. Maybe the store owner has gotten robbed before and followed the normal procedure with the cops and they never found the bad guys, so this time he just eliminated the middle man, and justice was served IMO...

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Amen...although, I would have had a 44 Mag in the store for the "just in case" reason. Staring down the barrel of that would've made them think twice. Thieving pricks, we need to put them all on a rocket to the sun. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is always the question though...how bad would the Honda have been speeding/being reckless if there wasn't a guy behind him in a Hummer hell bent on crushing them like a bug?

At least if the cops had been chasing them the sirens and stuff would have given most people a decent warning.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for the theiving bastards...I just think things could have been much worse as far as bystanders goes. Unfortunately I would not be surprised if the Hummer owner gets charged and sued...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

w3rd

12. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

A nice story indeed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was in the area when it happened but the Police shut down the area so I could not see it. That would have been a sight to see. Maybe Hummer will use it in a future ad campaign /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW - Thats how things are done out west...

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cops go around with little wisk brooms and clean up the mess after the crimes have been commited... protection is up to the individual. Supreme Court has already ruled that no one has a right to be defended by law enforcement personel... so we're pretty much on our own. This guy got robbed and he apprehended (some of) the bad guys himself... sounds good to me. I didnt see if they said how much was stolen... but I do know that when a "small" amount of stuff is stolen, the cops dont give a flying rip. Yeah, if u call them they'll write down ur report.. which promptly goes in a lil file drawer somewhere (or the circular file) never to be seen again. Ive had several hundred dollars worth of car stereo stuff stolen a couple of times and the fuzz absolutely dont give a crap. This hummer driver guy took matters into his own hands... and IMO the only sad part of the story is that some peeps in the honda survived.

j

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and IMO the only sad part of the story is that some peeps in the honda survived.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hell Yeah! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well they all survived... but 2 were sent to the hospital and two got away.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    We should do [naughty word] like in the middle east, chop their hands off, or run over them... its their choice.

16. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

my condolences to the families of the injured suspects, im only feeling bad for you because you raised such a bunch of upstanding individuals who are too fooking lazy to get a job to pay for things, so they rob people, they got what they deserved, but i guarantee the hummer driver gets more of a sentence than the crooks, because it was his fault that he endangered the lives of bystanders and criminals..

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Stupid criminals...If only more people took an active role like that, crime will only decrease when criminals feel like the risk of death is too high. They obviously don't fear the police, but a store owner with a gun (or a Hummer in this case /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) might start to get their attention. Everyone knows police are more concerned about pulling over trucks for no mud flaps, or speeding, or no seat belt, etc than stopping criminals with guns! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

18. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cops are more interested in pulling over trucks for no mud flaps, or speeding, or no seat belt, etc than stopping criminals with guns

[/ QUOTE ]
    Could anyone had said it any better? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    cops are more interested in pulling over trucks for no mud flaps, or speeding, or no seat belt, etc than stopping criminals with guns

[/ QUOTE ]
    Could anyone had said it any better? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have to disagree! I think that the only reason that the cops pull us over for not having mud flaps and speeding is that that is the only thing that they can do without worrying a bout being sued! Everyone already knows that the guy in the Hummer is going to get sued.

Even though he was only trying to protect what was his. we are to soft on the bad guy and to hard on the working man/wouman

Nothing that I have is worth dying for!
    Everything that I have is worth dying to keep!

20. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

If it had been less public the guy in the hummer would have a hell of a lot less chance getting sued.
    We had a case here where a guy came outside at 3am to find a guy sitting in his car just finishing hotwiring the thing. He ran up to his car got a hand on the guy just as he started to pull away. The owner was dragged about half a block until he grabbed the steering wheel and turned the car right through the fence of the Penticton Golf & Country Club. He then proceeded to rip the man from his car beat the sh!t out of him, then called the cops.
    When the cops got there the thief tried to press charges on the man that beat him. The cop looked at the bloody man and told him "I don't see any marks on you" HA! Now thats justice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The only way I think the man in the hummer should be charged is if a bystander was injured due to his behavior. If not call it a "citizens arrest" and leave the guy alone.