Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Wheel Info & Pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5BLT4FUN, Oct 15, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There has been a lot of questions regarding Hummer Rims lately. So here is link to my photos of the 12 Bolt Hummer Rims and 42 that I am running. Hummer Setup The Hummer rim is available in both an 8 bolt(bias tire) and 12 bolt(radial tire) style. Both the 8 & 12 bolt style are 8.25" x 16.5" They both have approx. 7" backspacing and 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern. That is the only similarity between the two. The 8 bolt has a .155" thick outer ring, has a Max PSI of 30, and a Max Load of 2850 pounds. The 8 lug also has "For Military Use Only". The 12 bolt has a .250" outer ring which is also the mounting flange, a Max PSI of 50, and Max Load of 3850 pounds. It does not have the "For Military Use Only", but does have a "DOT-T" stamped in it. I am running a hummer rim setup on my GM Dually D60 front axle, with a GM 14 BFF Truck axle that has 2.5" spacers in the rear. The Dually D60 WMS to WMS is 76-5/8" and the 14 BFF axle with the 2.5" spacer WMS to WMS is 72-1/4". I am building a Van 14 BFF to put in place of the truck one. With the 2.5" spacers on the Van 14 BFF, the WMS to WMS will be 75-1/4".

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

EXCELLENT idea to post all of that info in one simple searchable thread! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Do you run the runflats or pvc inserts or something else? I have seen posts on Pirate suggesting to cut down the mag runflat to prevent it from pinching the tire on the inside. I will also be running 42's (w/ the mag runflats), do you think they are close enough to warrant cutting them? I run mostly mud so typically I never air down.

3. K5BLT4FUN

I run my 42's with the uncut Magnesium Runflat. The run flat has an outer diameter of 24". So if the 42 has approx a 40" internal dimension, you should have approx. 8" between the mag. and the inner surface of the tire. If you don't air down I can't see where it will be a problem. I am staying with the run flat, since I drive mine on the road. If I ever have a blow out at least is wont crash all the way to the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

How much lift do you run? It's all suspension isn't it (from the looks of the pic)?

5. K5BLT4FUN

I run a 6" skyjacker Softride spring with ORD shacles up front. I use a 56" long 6" Skyjacker Softride spring with ORD 2-1/2" shackle reversal in the rear. I also have a 2" body lift to add in clearing the doubler and NV4500 setup. Also lots of fender trimming.

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

FYI to all reading this thread... check out the much similar thread in the 2nd Gen. Forum.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What is you outer width?(outside of tire to outside of tire)..

8. K5BLT4FUN

No really sure. I have never measured that. I will tonight and post later.

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Layne, will you sell me your spacers when you swap in the Van rearend?

10. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Neil-

Layne is going to use the spacers when he goes to the van diff too... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I already asked him if I could buy them, and thats when he told me he was keeping them for the van 14BFF. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

11. Mudzer

Not that I need them or anything.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Mudzer

Heres the question of the day...

Why do you need spacers at all? I mean, if I were thinking of narrowing the body on my K5, couldnt I also narrow the track width front and rear to help get around these pesky Missouri trees?

Basically it would involve using stock Humvee Beadlocks with offset High Steer arms, go with coils and 4 link up front, then have a narrower rig all together. Do you think they would contact the frame or your coil link? Stupid newbie questions here, just wanting to check all Avenues when considering narrowing my K5.

The Stubby Mechano rig has Hummer Beadlocks without dually frontend, not sure if he uses spacers up front and I know his frame is not stock.

The only real issue I see other than making sure everything clears, is the front hubs will stick out pretty far. A person could run driveflanges with flat caps to gain back some clearance.

Flame away boys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. K5BLT4FUN

Neil, If you were to go to coils or coilover and a 3 or 4 link you would only have to contend with the issue of the rim hitting the stock tierod mount on the knuckle. With the rear setup the only thing is right now with out spacers there is only and 1.5" between the tire and the leaf spring pack. So you would have to do something about that.

14. K5BLT4FUN

Well I measured the outside width overall. My 15/42x16.5 TSL's mounted on a 8.25"x16.5" rim at 25 psi. The width is 7'-3" or approx. 87" in the front.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I would take it that you would probably all recommend that I find a set with the 12 bolt pattern rather than the 8 if I will be towing?