Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Wheels/Dually Axles (Revisited)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, Sep 21, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Here's what I've got...

D60 Front Dually
    14BFF Rear with Disc Conversion SRW
    35" Boggers on 15" 8 lug rims

Here's what I want...

D60 Front Dually
    14BFF w/ Disc
    Hummer Beadlocks and 35-37" Tires

How to I get the 14BFF SRW I have the same track width as the daully front?

I spoke to ORD and they can make me 2-3" spacers but the track width of the rear will still be narrower than the front.

They also suggest a C30 Van 14BFF, do a disc converstion and use 1-2" spacers and then the rear will be as wide as the front. I have found a Van 14BFF for $250 and I can go this direction.

Has anyone done the van rear/disc conv/spacer setup with a D60 dually front and Hummer Wheels? Are there any pitfalls I need to worry about?

FYI - This is going under the '69 Blazer I just bought for $600.

AND... Anyone wanna partial swap my BRAND NEW Boggers and 8lug OR 6lug wheels for some Hummer Wheels and Good Tires?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

How about a D70 from a dually in the back? Uses the same disc setup as the 14BFF, though obviously the Detroit or whatever changes. I know you said you wanted a 14B rear, but the 70's *are* wiiiiider.

-- A

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

could you just get DRW 14bolt hubs and different length axle shafts?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The axle shafts are the same length but the DRW hubs have the stud flange moved inward so using these would cause the axle to be narrower.

As stated, you'd have to use either a DRW D70HD or put wheel spacers on the 14 bolt.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I run the D60 Dually (hybrid Dodge d60 with GM dually hubs) and van width 14FF with no spacers. The rear is narrower but not anymore than a standard SRW setup is. When I had the 37s on the truck I had no rubbing issues, but with the 42s the tires rub the rear inner fender wells. I'm going to get some 1" spacers to take care of that though.

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

My truck's rear WMS is 10" narrower than the front due to my axles (DRW dodge D60 and SRW Eaton H072). I am just not going to worry about it.

7. bigbluesuburban

When you say this do you mean that the difference in track width between your combination of axles is about the same difference in track width that is common on non-dually suburbans, about 2" total width difference?

If that is true then it seems that the Van 14BFF is the ideal rear axle for this setup.

Now I just need to swap these boggers for some Hummer wheels and tires. Any takers?

8. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i'll be running a DRW 60/70 combo in mine. match up pretty well, unless you've built the 14B, i'd suggest going with a 70. with my 44s mounted on the H1s with 10 psi, i measured the D60 at 96" wide :eek1:

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hes already got a 14b with disc's....i dont see a point in getting a new axle if hes already got money into this one

10. bigbluesuburban

The reason that I am questioning using this 14BFF with the disc conversion is that I will have to run 3" spacers on each side to get the track width of the 14B to equal that of the D60 Dually up front. And that just seems like a lot of spacer to me.

If I decide to go with another axle I can always swap the 14BFF under my daily driver 89 Sub and get rid of that POS 14BSF that currently resides there.

I just want to make as informed a decision as possible before I start swappin' these axles around.

11. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

I have the van 14bolt with the disc brake conversion and 2 inch spacer, and its the same width as the front. I didnt like the way it looked with the rear in further then the front. I cant see any difference in the front and rear know. Hope this helps!

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

arent van 14b the same width as front? wouldnt 2" spacers make it wider than the front?

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Even on a DRW pickup, the rear is narrower than the front.

To make the rear the same (or very close) you swap SRW hubs onto the wider housing.

As for wide housings.... anything from a DRW cutaway van or DRW pickup would do the job. 91-older is Dana. 92-0? is a 14bFF.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

A GM dually front is ~77.5" wide a Van width 14FF is 70" wide. In order to equal the front width you would need a spacer of 3.75" per side. The hub stickout of a 14FF SRW hub is ~3". If you run a 3" spacer you would still have the entire rim and spacer supported by the hub as well as the lugs. I do not see any issues with running a spacer that size on a full floating axle. Also the internals and disc brakes setup on your current axle will bolt right in or on to a Van width axle. Spring perches and shock mounts would need to be moved but that is trivial.

Ira

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Moving backing plate flanges is trivial too... then you can use the DRW housing and ditch the spacers. ;)

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

He already has a built 14FF. A Dana 70 Dually is not an economical option for him. I also thought that there was a wide 14FF dually not just the C&C 14FF dually.

Ira

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

There is... 92+ DRW pickup, and DRW cutaway van.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

:thinking:

Ira

19. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I read in the 14bolt bible that the late model DRW was 72",if this is correct you would be 76" by swapping to SRW hubs.You could use the longer dually wheel studs and add a 1/2-3/4" spacer and be close enough.

I have been looking for a reasonably priced DRW late 14bolt without very good luck,all I need is the housing/axleshafts!
    My plan is to assemble a HP RH drop 60 front based on a Dodge DRW dims. which is 75 1/2".According to my measurements using military beadlock rims the mounted wheel center to center should be only about an inch wider per side than using a standard backspace 8" wheel.

Does anyone know for sure if the late 14 is in fact 72" WMS to WMS???

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I did a little digging on the various axle shaft lengths. (However, not too sure how reputable the data is.)

96-?? Savana/Express DRW cutaway: 36-1/2", 41-7/8"
    92-95 GM van DRW cutaway: 37-7/16", 42-1/2"
    92-01 C/K 3500 DRW pickup, and widetrack C&C: 37-1/8", 41-1/2"

73-86 C/K/20/30 SRW and C&C DRW: 31-11/16", 37-9/16"

Anyway, if you do the math based on a known 14bFF WMS width (i.e. 63" for the C&C), I get ~73.5" on the 92-95 van, and hair over 72" on the other 2.