Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Wheels & Dually Axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I have found a 14 bolt dually rear, and a 60 dually front. I have read that I can bolt these axles under my suburban and if I run Hummer wheels everything fits under the sheet metal. Is this correct? Are there any tips or tricks that I should know?

I am also interested in running 19.5" rims but I only have limited information about this. Is the bolt pattern the same (8 lug) ? Will the tires fit under the sheet metal? What tires are available out there if I go this direction?

Thanks in advance for all the information.

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Any 1 ton rear axle will need the spring perches and shock mounts relaocated to fit a 3/4 or 1/2 ton. There are all sorts of parking brake cable set ups. match what you have or you'll have to convert to what the new axle comes with.

Do a search regarding the dually axles and Hummer rims. You're correct about the D60 front dually axle, but I don't think the 14 Bolt cab and chasis rear axle is the correct axle for Hummer rims in the rear. I think what you'll want is the D70 wide track from a dually pick up. There is a 14 Bolt version of this axle, but they are rare.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

3. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Wide dually 14 bolts are not rare, they came in all 90s dually pickups. They dropped the dana 70 with the new body style. From what I've seen, the hot setup is to run a dually D60 on the front with no mods, and on the rear, use a wide dually dana 70 housing, with SRW 14 bolt hubs on it. They will bolt right on, and move you WMS out a little further, which allegedly lines up perfectly with the front

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the wide 14 Bolt dually axles that will bolt directly into a 2nd gen. 1 ton body style. I think those only came on crew cab duallys in 90 and 91.

Eric M.

6. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Do we have any proof of this? Are there any pictures out there to support this arrangement?

I have found a 14 bolt locally... but I don't want to purchase it if it is not going to work.

I suppose I can be the guinee pig on this, but that is expensive.

So, any more opinions? Any more pictures? Anyone got a D60 dually front they want to donate to the cause... :D

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The 14 bolt hub thing is something I saw a member here do quite awhile ago. There was a picture with the 14 bolt hub on the D70 housing so I know that they fit together. What variety is the 14 bolt you found, a dually or SRW? IF you wanted to, you could put the SRW hubs on a later model wide dually 14 bolt housing, same idea as with the dana 70 but you keep the cheaper detroit of the 14 bolt. FYI the wide 14 bolt will have the finned housings.

8. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

here do it and never look back!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i dont have a 60 axle but i have a set of dully hubs i will swap you for single hubs. pm me if you want them.

10. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm using a Dually D60 up front and a Van width 14 FF outback. The rear is a little narrower than the front, much like the factory setup is on a half ton truck or blazer.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Not totally true...

There are two styles of parking brake cable setups on the trucks. It changed in, IIRC, 1985, so you have the same style setup as I do. Our 89's have parking brake cables that have retainer clips that stick into a drilled hole on the backing plate. 84 and lower has a flange that bolts to the backing plate with 2 bolts. The hole it runs through is also different. All you'd have to do (if you get a pre 85 14 bolt) is swap the backing plates out for a newer (85 and up) style one and your parking brake cables will work just fine. I swapped backing plates on my axle in this fashion and got new cables just for grins from LMC truck and it looks factory and they work great!

BTW, welcome to the club! Got any more year specific questions for your truck, let me know in a PM.:D

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

If you aren't doing a disc brake conversion, keep in mind, you will need to cut and relocate the flange at the end of the axle tubes that the backing plate bolts to if you do any of the hub swaps.

The finned 14 Bolt housings are all of the later model housings, SRW, C&C and wide track dually. I have 2 finned housings, both SRW.

Eric M.

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm not doing very well on this post! Thanks for the correction. Good info. on LMC, I had no idea the sold the cables. I paid big bucks for the cables from the dealer and have a whole stack of LMC catalogs right in front of me :doah:
    I gotta remember to look before I spend.

Eric M.