Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer wheels on duallie axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Aug 8, 2004.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I've heard a few people mention something about being able to run Hummer beadlock rims, with their stock backspacing, on GM duallie axles. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, and what all is involved? do you have to do anything special to be able to make these work on a K5? how far would they stick out? would there be any kinda of clearance issues? anyone have any pics of this setup? thanks.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

There is a member that is running this set up. I cant remember his name sorry. But you need a van width 14 bolt rear and use 2.5" spacers so the front and rear width is right. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

No modifications needed on the front, just bolt the wheels on and go. They tuck in pretty nicely, no clearance issues. You can run a dually D70 rear which will have almost the same width as the front, so no spacers needed. As mentioned before, if you run a 14 bolt, you will probably want spacers to even out the track width. Here are some pictures of my rig which was a bone stock dually at one time, so it should give you an idea what the hummer rims look like with dually axles.

Hummer rims with dually axles

4. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

your truck in the pic has the D70 rear? what all would I have to do to run a D70 on a K5? I guess with either duallie axle, I'm gonna have to change spring perches and shock mounts, right? what about brake lines and all that? and will the DRW front D60 bolt up the same as a SRW? and when you say a van width 14 bolt, you mean a duallie van axle? I don't really know the difference between a van width and a truck width 14ff, be it DRW or SRW...so what's the reason for the van width...will they just stick out way too far with the truck width one? I'd prefer to run a 14ff if possible, since they're easier to find, and lockers are cheaper/easier to install in them. but I really don't wanna have to run spacers, so...just wanna find out exactly what all is involved either way. thanks for the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BlueBlazer

Yes, it is a D70 rear, for a k5 you would have to move spring perches and shock mounts, thats all. Front axle is identical between the SRW and DRW versions, just the DRW has different bearing hubs. The widest 14 bolt available is from vans, they are somthing like 69 or 70" wide compared to 73 for my rear D70 and 76 for the front.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 14ff used in 92-99 DRW pickups is also ~72".

The DRW van D70 is also ~72", but its not an "HD" as the pickups use.

Some DRW vans used a ~72" [/i]D60[/i] as well.

7. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

ok, so...if I get either a D70, or maybe a later model 14ff duallie rear end, it'll put my track width about even with the front...and I can run the hummer wheels with no other mods? also, I was gonna put discs on the rear...would this be just the same as with a SRW?

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Woo-Hoo!! Finally some pics of someone who did this already /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif.
    Very nice looking setup you have there.

One question I have that I can't answer for sure from the pics is if the front tires are contained within or stick out slightly from the front fenders?? I already have the DRW D60 for my project but I am wondering where the tires are going to end up if I ever get it under the truck. What is your distance from outside front tire to outside front tire?? Hell, as long as I'm at it, what is the rear outside to outside distance?? I still need to procure a DRW D70HD, but this would answer another question without having one in my posession.
    Thanks,
    Nick

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

10. BlueBlazer

Lets just say they tuck in nicely with 37x12.5 tires mounted on the Hummer rims.

11. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

in his write-up, he said to put SRW 14ff hubs on the DRW D70 axle. I assume you could do the same thing with the 92-99 DRW 14ff, if it's ~72", couldn't you? and it would tuck the tires in just a little more than with the D70, making the track width about exactly the same as the front? could you use the same disc brake brackets for it? and would you have to do anything else to run the newer 14ff...like different e-brake cables...or is everything all the same?

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    in his write-up, he said to put SRW 14ff hubs on the DRW D70 axle. I assume you could do the same thing with the 92-99 DRW 14ff, if it's ~72", couldn't you? and it would tuck the tires in just a little more than with the D70, making the track width about exactly the same as the front? could you use the same disc brake brackets for it? and would you have to do anything else to run the newer 14ff...like different e-brake cables...or is everything all the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting the SRW hubs on a DRW axle will push the tires out, not tuck them in (under the body).

I would imagine the SRW hubs would swap on the 92-99 axle but that would change the position of the rotor which would change it's relationship to the caliper bracket. I'm sure you could correct this issue with new spacers for the caliper bracket. I would think the e-brake cable would most likely work as well.

13. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

what's the difference between a DRW D70 and a DRW D80? I mean...as far as this swap goes...could you swap the 14FF hubs onto the D80 just like with the D70, or are the D80s completely different? I just happened to come across a few of these, and was wondering how hard it would be to use them for this swap. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Which Dana 80?

I predict the D80 from a Dodge DRW pickup is likely similar width as the GM DRW pickup. They're still only 35-spline. Swapping hubs between makes usually isn't possible due to different spindles using different bearings. Wouldn't need to on the Dodge though... they're already 8-on-6.5".

The Ford D80 doesn't get 37-spline shafts until its either 10-lug, or the big 8-on-220mm pattern... and the hubs/spindles are much bigger that the 14FF's. The only one that's 8-on-6.5" and around 72" is the E-450 DRW cutaway.

The GM D80 is also 10-lug w/37-spline shafts. Most are C&C width. I think there's a wider one (around 72") as well.

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I just put my Hummer wheels on my DRW D60 and DRW D70 last night. Best I can tell the rear is about 2 1/2" narrower than the front.
    How much narrower is the rear on a stock setup w/ 10 or 12 bolts?

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

this is the set-up I'm using... I had the hub outside diameter turned and then the alum spacer was fit to it, this keeps the spacer in contact with the hub not only on the flange but also the nose. I have talked to some guys who think that with a steel spacer the 14 bolt is strong enough to just have the contact point on the flange.

[​IMG]

17. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I'm not positive, but I think with the stock setup, the rear is about 3" narrower. do you have any pics of yours? I'd like to see how these look on a blazer.

18. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here are a couple of the best shots I could get. Can't pull it out of the shop...doesn't have any steering, brakes, or drivelines!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]