Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer wheels vs. Rockstompers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Trying to make a decision here. I can get Hummer wheels with the backspacing changed to whatever I want for $165 each complete, at my door, or a set of Rockstomper beadlock wheels for about $170 each, plus shipping. I have tires for the Rockstompers, but if I get the Hummers I'd have to sell my 38s (for 15" rims) and get some tires for 16.5s. I know the Hummer wheels are double beadlocks, so that's a definate plus, as well as the fact that I won't need to do any grinding on the calipers of the D60. Basically the only negative to the Hummer wheels is that I already have a perfectly good set of 38s for 15" rims. I just wanted to know - what would you do, get the Hummers and go through the trouble of selling the tires for the 15s, or just go with the Rockstompers? </font color>

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Like you said your biggest and only negative of the hummer wheels is the tire situation. IMHO I would go with the hummers' cause I just bought a set myself, no grinding of capliers and inner and outer beadlocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you could find someone to swap your 15" 38's for 16.5 straight across that would be sweet /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Just my .02

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I am leaning towards the Hummers for sure. If I could find someone to swap the 38" radials for a set of 42s then it would be a no brainer. </font color>

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only down side I can see is the weight diffrence.
    I think I am going to get them for the trail and use the
    cheap chrome ones I have for the street. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I would go with the Hummers, since it locks inner/outer. Sell the 38"s and move up to atleast 42"s and go from there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What Boss said + mounting a tire by your lonesome is sooooo much easier. No twisted strap method and hoping not to gouge the side wall with a prybar.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

get the Hummer rims.

grinding on the calipers only add one more thing that can break or fail, IMHO.

The things i worry about is steering and brakeing. all the other stuff can be made to work, but steering and brakes should be in the utmost state of repair.

again, JMHO.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The Hummer rims with any backspacing for $165 does not include the run flats does it? I assume you are looking at getting them from USA 6x6.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Daniel said that they are complete for the $165. The exact text from his email to me -

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    $165 each complete and shipped to your door:) beadlocks and backspacing
    included:)

[/ QUOTE ] </font color>

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ya, they are complete but as far as I know they don't have the run flats in them at that price. Kinda misleading if you ask me. I think with the run flat it will be like $215 each. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thought i heard somewhere that you don't need the runflat.

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You heard wrong /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    The run-flats are there to keep the beads in place. without that, they're just like regular 16.5 wheels basically....
    Boss

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The web site says beadlocks are included:
    This is a custom backspace hummer rim...sandblasted, painted to customers request, with any bolt pattern, with new seals, and of course nuts and BEADLOCK included for $165 each... that price includes shipping to the lower 48 states:)
    here is the link: http://www.usa6x6.com/hum01.html

14. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Well that settles it, those will be my next set of wheels! 6 lug too! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. I just met a friend of my Dad's last night and he deals army surplus for the goverment for a living. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I asked about hummer wheels, and he said he can get them for me for $40-50 each!!! I was like WOW, so I think I may have to get a few sets. I am gonna meet up with him again tomarrow. I am not compleatly sure, but this sounds like a good deal to me. Let me know if these are worth getting. This also opens up a lot of doors for anything army surplus. Later

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the back spacing will kill you. its something line 6 or 7 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

that is why the ones that have the custom BS welding are so Uber-cool