Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer Wheels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan Melton, May 6, 2001.

1. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

I know there has been a lot of discussion on 15" v. 16" v. 16.5" wheels, beadlocks v. tireloc etc. , but I was curious as to exactly how the beadlocks on a hummer wheel work as it is a 16.5. I believe there is a ring that goes inside the bead on the tire between the two wheel halves that holds the beads on? I know they have very little backspacing but I have seen them with custom centers installed, and widened to diff widths etc. Is doing this a viable option apart from cost? I plan on running 44's and would just run 15" wheels with beadlocks except I would like to run big brakes and want to beadlock the tires as I plan to air down low. I'm partial to "real" beadlocks as I don't have any exp. with the tireloc system. Now if Interco would just make a 44x19.5x17" Bogger... Any thoughts on this?

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Its been awhile since I split one but I belive there is the two rim halvs and a large rubber ring that gets sandwiched in the middle. The ring also is the runflat device that alows you to ride home on a complete flat. I am not sure if this is true but I was told that for the amount of airing down we typically do the runflat device will interfere with everything and is not the hot ticket

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

the two round aluminum halves are used in the bias tires, and the round rubber ring is used in the radial goodyears...you can tell the difference by the number of bolts that hold the rim halves together.....i think one has 10 and the other has 12...not sure but i can find out....

these run flat devices work real good in military applications...we blew a bias ply goodyear in a creek and were still able to drive 30 miles back to the maintenance area...the tire and the aluminum run-flat didnt do to good, but we didnt have to walk.....these are a drag to install esp. the rubber ones, personally they are not worth it... the only reasons they are used in the army is because hummers dont carry spares and in a "war" you wouldnt want to stop and change a tire if some bad dudes are shooting at you!!

ryan, to answer your question-the ring dosent hold the tire on, the ring is what the tire rides on when it goes flat, there is huge o-ring in there, but its just used to seal the two halves. as far as the design of these goes, i think the "split" rim design is primarily used to keep the maintenance guys from packing a huge tire machine around to fix these things..all you need to change the tires are a couple of wrenches....

AIRBORNE!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by yeild2me on 05/06/01 10:24 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Let me start by saying these are probably NOT the hot set up for low air pressure off roading. That said the runflat accomplishes two things: allows a damaged tire to continue to roll on the inner wheel and holds the beads against the rim halfs. The Army uses two basic style rims with (now) four different runflats. The original aluminum bias ply (picture two half moons) (easy to mount but prone to vibration - impossible to balance), the two piece rubber ( solid rubber wheel with a solid rubber spacer) for radials, a similiar two piece available for bias wheels & tires, and on the A2 HMMWVs a one piece solid rubber wheel without a seperate spacer. All the rubber ones are a PITA to mount, although if you do enough 'em you get pretty good at it. You still need a tool to bend the rubber wheel (runflat) in half to get it inside the tire. On top of this it's my understanding that the civilian Hummer used a couple more different style runflats that never made it to Mil Spec.

The split rim was necessary to fit the runflat on the rim (and inside the tire), although we do have "hand" tools to mount one piece rims in the field if need be. If you do still want the HMMWV split rims the bias ply style (available surplus) is the better design. The large o-ring can usually be reused and is less prone to air leaks. I've heard of people modifying the offset and width but have never seen done.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My bud from the club Toby Runs them on his Bronco. He's been pleased and I can assure you he has run about every combination tire out there and this is the one he stayed with. He keeps having leaks and stuff but that may be more him. He busts D60 and NP205's often so I guess you could say he's pretty rough on stuff.. His truck runs D60's front and rear and he is running the stock offset rim. That probably works right on his 1st gen bronco Might not for our trucks. He also put acorn lug on ALL the bolts that hold the halves together. He Kept bending the bolts and screwing up the threads and that seemd to take care of it for the most part.
    Don't hate him cause it's a Ford. It's a pretty killer truck with custom Air bag 4 link rear suspension. It maxes out a 25deg ramp no problem Forgot what he said it did on a 30. Something like a 870. Somewhere I have a picture of one of his tires all folded up like a drag slick with 5psi in it. I would say after seeing the picture that airing down is not a problem. http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Pretty neat pony, Grim. I looks like he had the bias ply rims. I'ld like to know if he's using the aluminum runflat/beadlock. And did he run them stock or modify them (like everything else on his Bronc (coool!)

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's Been a while since I asked about those wheels. I'm pretty sure he's using the rubber ring that goes in the tire and wedges the tire to the bead. It works well. There is a picture on the site at I believe Mont Eagle where he bent the stew out of a rim and it still holds air. It was bent so bad the lip was rolled out and the tire bead was exposed. He might even be running tubes. Proably be a couple weeks before I see him again. I'll ask about them and get some more information.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>