Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hummer wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90BCk5, Jul 31, 2005.

1. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

sould anyone direct me to some info on mounting tires on hummer rims? ive heard different stuff about not using o-rings, just silicone, no silicone...blah blah......i know there are some military guys on here, any chance you might be able to help me out? i want to make sure i do it right, like torque specs, position of o-ring, if i should use silicone or not, or whatever worked for you...i have the magnesium runflat/beadlocks, but am thinking about switching to the pvc inserts in the near future... :1zhelp:

thanks for any help

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got pretty good at changing tires on my hmmwv in 130 degree heat, kept getting annoying little 7.62mm holes in the sidewalls

I always used the o-ring and put grease on it before I put it in, torqued to as tight as I could get it with a 2 foot breaker bar and never had one fail...if I had a leak it was always with the vlave stem ( I'm sure in an enviornment with parts stores there is a better valve stem available than comes with the rims) it probably didn't help that we were reduced to installing them with a leatherman and vise grips either

as for the run flats I hate the rubber ones, folding them in half with a couple of rachet straps and coating them with grease was the only way we had to get them inside the tire, the metal ones unbolt into two halves

I'm sure most of this is considered wrong but its what we had to work with and my truck has run from baghdad to syria without tire problems and fairly smooth as well

3. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

yeah ive got the 2 peice mag inserts, but i think the pvc would be better as im no too worried about the runflat aspect, more the beadlock....

4. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

:bow: dude,that sounds way better than.... " my rig ran so-and-so trail" :bow: