Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hummer wheels ....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SlyDog, Jan 19, 2002.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey, I got three questions.
    1. Are the hummer wheels better than normal 16.5 inch wheel when aired down ? (do they have the safety lip)

2. Would those wheels fit on a 14 bolt and dana 44/60 ?

3. Anyone done this with any tips or ideas ?
    The reason I am wondering is because I can get the hummer tires for cheap and they are 37 inches [​IMG] Thanks!!

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

2. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

If you get ones with the internal bead locks then they are better than normal 16.5's. They will fit a standard 8 bolt pattern, but have a LOT of backspacing. The front of the rim is almost flush with the hub mounting surface.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hummer wheels do have the internal bead locks (unless someone has disposed of them) and they are a 2 piece wheel which makes mounting the tires easy. However, they have about 8" of back spacing and will not fit on normal axles without rather serious modifications to the axles. I've always wondered though, if they might work ok on dually axles.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

You don't need to use Hummer rims with those 37's. Just use normal 16.5" rims. I've seen it done before.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Are the inner beadlocks street legal ?? The reason I am wondering about the hummer wheels is because I want to be able to air down my tires without worrying about them popping the bead all the time! That would royally suck [​IMG] Otherwise I will have to get 35" general grabber MT's [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, they are street legal. There are also two types. One has a magnesium beadlock/run-flat, and the other uses rubber. Most people avoid the mag version.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.