Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Humming/Viberation coming from front end???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 21, 2002.

Today when driving my truck I noticed this weird humming/viberation coming from the front. But the catch is it's only when taking a hard turn at like 30-40. I drive on a curvey road everyday and when I take the turns there is this viberation I can feel on the floors and stuff. Also I can hear a slight humming, but once I strighten out the wheel it's gone. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

1. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

That is a strange one to figure out, I would suggest checking the wheel bearings. If they are worn out, dry, or just pissed off they can make weird things happen.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am interested in this, as mine does this in 4 wheel drive.

203 part time kit. I was wondering if my fluid is low in the front diff. I haven't checked yet.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's the wheel bearings...
    Mine was doing the same thing.. but mine would shimmy real bad in a right hand steer... tightened them up and it's good to go...

4. sunco_breather

sunco_breather Newbie

i go about 30 on the street and then it makes some noise and then it doesnt. I took it to 4wheelparts and then they said they knew what it was but no they didnt. They install inner and outer wheel bearings but i leave the parking lot and then it makes the noise. Then they say i need lockers or something but i dont think so so any help will help thanks

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

if it only does it in 4wd it could be the front yoke slip joint. mine is real sloppy and vibrates if i leave the hubs locked on the highway, in or out of 4wd.

6. my 76 truck does this and its not the wheel bearings. i repaced them and everything up front is tight-tierods, draglink, etc. i think my motor and body mounts are shot and is transfuring engine vibration on the corners

7. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    This problem has come up several times in the last 6 months. It happened to me as well.

Finally, someone, Grim-Reaper I believe, told me to open the rubber boot on the shifter, and while driving, look down at the front driveshaft, and I would see it spinning sometimes.

Don't know what caused it, but it happened at the strangest times, sometimes followed a pattern, then not.

I ended up making a velcro strap, which wraps around the front driveshaft, and then to the closest hard point. then when I need 4-wheel drive, I have to get out anyway to switch the manual hubs, so I just reach under and rip the strap off...............