Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hunter Wants Open Season On Domestic Cats

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Mar 7, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://www.wftv.com/family/4258907/detail.html

MADISON, Wis. -- The fur is going to fly when cat lovers hear about Mark Smith's idea.

The Wisconsin hunter and firefighter wants stray cats classified as an "unprotected species" that could be shot by anyone with a small-game license.

Smith welcomes wild birds onto his property, but if he sees a cat, he thinks the "invasive" animal should be considered fair game.

The 48-year-old firefighter from La Crosse, Wis., has proposed that hunters in Wisconsin make free-roaming domestic cats an "unprotected species" that could be shot at will by anyone with a small-game license.

Hunters will vote on the proposal on April 11 during hearings for the Wisconsin Conservation Congress across the state. The congress advises state officials on natural resource issues.

Smith said free-roaming cats are an invasive species that attack wild birds.

Smith's proposal has horrified cat lovers.

Ted O'Donnell is horrified. He's the owner of a pet supply store and has set up a Web site to fight the idea -- don't shoot the cat.com.

Department of Natural Resources attorney Tim Andryk said the vote would simply be an advisory recommendation to state lawmakers. He said that to have open season on roaming cats, laws that relate to abuse of domestic animals may have to be amended.

"I would hate to think that tame, owned cats who happen to slip out would be at risk of being deemed a wild, unprotected species," said Sheri Carr, senior humane officer at the Dane County Humane Society. "It's a delicate (ecological) balance out there, but does that mean people should be able to shoot their neighbor's cat? Probably not."

Carr thinks pet owners should not let their animals roam.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, as much as I hate cats, if he finds a couple of mean old Tom cats, he can ship them my way. I'm tired of these idiot birds crapping on all my vehicles....... :mad:

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

It's good to see you keep an open mind!! The right tool for the right job :tongue1:
    Surprised you have not declared them "public menace/public enemy numbah 1' :D

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I live in town so I can't really declare the trees a free fire zone and direct fire from the 12 Gauge Artillery Battery into the trees.................... :(

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The guy that maintains our boats shoots grackels in the middle of a small town at his business. Its hilarious cause hes like 90 and thats something 12 year olds do. But it keeps the birds from crapping on the boats I guess.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

OKOK best job i ever had:

My boss was tired of the neighbor cats (they had like over 20 no joke) coming over to his property and eating all his dogs food, so my job for the day was to sit on his fenceline, with a 20ga. and shoot cats all day, i got 5 bucks and hour and shot a whole box of shells, got 7 cats(wasent a good shot back than):D So much fun:D

7. 2Dogs

OK, a real suggestion to continue the hijack - have you tried hanging those plastic owls around your parking area? The 2 foot tall variety should scare the crapping fockers.....

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I had a problems with cats. I caught them in a Havahart trap and ran them out to the country as I caught them. One night I caught 11 cats and the neighbors dog, and took them all about 10 miles out of town.

9. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Gee, thanks. Seriously, I live in the country, and we are sometimes overrun with strays because of people like you. For some reason, when people dump animals in the country, they assume that someone will take care of them, problem solved. Yes, we do "take care" of them, but I'm getting tired of cleaning up other people's messes. Perhaps you could at least buy me a few boxes of shotgun shells, to help cover my losses over the years. That being said, if you have to dump an animal, please make it a cat. I've dealt with a few packs of wild dogs (domestic dogs that get dumped and turn wild) and they are without a doubt the nastiest animals I've ever had to battle. :mad:

P.S. It's always open season on cats around here, as long as my fiance' isn't home! :D

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That was when I lived in town. I do live in the country now, my nearest neighbor is about 2 miles away, and thanks to a flood plain zoning ordinance enacted after our house was built it is now illegal to build a house anywhere within 5 miles of us. So - NO NEIGHBORS EVER! Can it get any better than that? We don't feed any of our cats, they always kill stuff to eat - like the mice in our shop.

And if it makes you feel any better - when I was catching and dumping cats I brought an equal number of them to the next town over and let them out behind the hotel so they could eat out of the dumpster with all the cats. :p:

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Strays near my Grandad's place in Central OR seem to die of lead poisoning at an alarming rate. Agree on the dog pack thing, nasty business to deal with if you can't snipe them.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Thank you for the idea :D

13. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I don' tknow how well those work..My neighbor has a big 2 foot owl and the birds sit on it? They aren't scared at all..maybe we just have smart/stupid birds in AZ :D

14. 2Dogs

Yeah, I think they need to be moved frequently or hang them by a rope on a flexible branch.....?

Maybe BRB needs to start a collection of plastic lawn animals. Probably get shot up down thar :D

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you know it is ilegal to transpot a traped animal ANY animal over 2 miles from where they were trapped?

16. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

At work they tried owls and snakes to spook the geese and this did not work. Target practice seems to be the best bet. 22 rounds are cheap and good practice. There are leash laws for dogs and should be the same for cats. If the nieghbors love thier cats they will keep them in thier house or at least out of my yard. Will not be the first cat i have took to work. I live out in the woods and better hope of them getting feed and picked up at work. :blush:

Good with taters and carrots!:p: