Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hunting in August

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by blazindorito, Jul 10, 2006.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

One more month and we are out into the woods to track down deer that got away last year andhope they survived. Went hunting last year in A-Zone and missed at a nice buck. It was only a 2x2 but it had a nice open rack with long tines. Hope to go out this year and catch the one that got away. 2 of my party members are dropping out because of the heat. Looks like my dad and I will be the only ones out there. Here's apicture of what I got 2 years ago.

s 4pointer.jpg

I will be going back to get this one. Zoo officials look out here I come. Chased him for 20 min. couldn't get him to come closer. Went back and forth to get a good picture but no luck. HE will be mine. (just in case someone thinks I'm being serious I am not) I will not hunt game enclosed in a fence, Unless it steps outside the fence when I open it.

DSC00098.JPG

s 4pointer.jpg

DSC00098.JPG

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:haha: :haha: :haha: I've been wanting to go pretty bad lately myself ,our season doesn't start til Oct...:doah: Maybe I'll go to the Zoo too...:D

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

YEAH! I Can't wait, I just got my tags today in the mail. I saw some NICE bucks up where I hunt last weekend, including a real nice forked horn hanging around my cabin. Of course, come opening day, they will have dissappeared into thin air. I'm pretty antsy, I can't wait! I't gonna be hard to top the buck I shot last year. This year I'm going to braintan my hide and make a buckskin, just gotta shoot 'em first!

4. blazindorito

MOFUGLY,
    make sure you untie the deer first before you shoot it. It's not fun when they are tied up. Just kidding. Good Luck and hope you get another 2. That was some tasty deer jerky. Think I will be going to Cottonwood CYN this year. It is near Santa Barbara. I went 5 years ago and saw a lot of nice wide racked bucks. Found one dead in the river it was a 150lb 3 X 2 heavy mass buck. Only problem is there are lots of bears and rattlesnakes. When you shoot a deer you need to run before the bears get there.

5. blazindorito

Went scouting yesterday and saw 2 small forkies w/ velvet still on. I saw a really nice, fat, cinnamon colored bear and a couple of does with young. I hope a nice buck comes out on opening morning. We'll see, only 3 weeks away.

6. mofugly13

I went camping near Yosemite this last weekend and my girlfriend and I drove to Tuollomne (sp?) Meadows, and saw these nice mulies. I was able to get within 30 yards of the closest one. They didn't give to $hits that I was there. We drove down the road a ways, and saw a BIG buck in a field with a few other bucks. Seeing these nice bucks really got my heart pumpin'. I cant wait for the season to start!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. blazindorito

MOfugly,
    I was in Yosemite last week Monday and Tuesday. I also got to see 4 nice huge bucks in the Yosemite Valley. My heart was pumping and all I could think of is that I better see something this big when I start hunting. I'll post my pictures soon.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Registered Member

soon very soon

I've been doing the same as you guys, recon, and waiting, sept 1 bear, sept 10 everything else, plus me and 2 friends got 2 bull moose draws out near 100 mile house (central BC)

9. blazindorito

MOfugly,
    Have you ever hunted in Fort Hunter Liggett? I called Wednesday and was told that they pulled out 189 deer in 6 weekends. This is very impressive, so I sent in my application for the 2 day permit. See what happens. Looking for any info for Fort HUnter Liggett. thanks

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Do a write up on the tanning process when you do it...:wink1:

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Registered Member

12. mofugly13

Two seasons ago I put a hide from a buck I shot in the freezer, planning to tan it with the hair on once I found some really good instructions. I never really found a thorough "how-to" and kind of forgot about it. Then, while surfing the net, I came across www.braintan.com and my interest in making a buckskin, rather than a fur was piqued. I found a highly recommended book on amazon and bought both it and the dvd version of the book. I could not recommend one or both of these enough. The guy who wrote the book also runs the braintan.com site. Anyway, I got the book and dvd and watched the DVD. The dude shows every step from a wet mass of furry, fleshy skin, to the soft tanned finished buckskin. I wasted no time inmaking a fleshing beam and defrosting the old frozen hide. I just did the final step, smoking, this past weekend. I finished my first buckskin! It came out awesome, nice and soft. After I do a few more, I'm going to make a shirt or coat. I really can't believe how nice it is. And it was really enjoyable. I'll start a new thread with a breakdown of the process. Five days until deer season starts here, I can't fukking wait!

Blazin, I've never hunted Hunter Ligget, I am a lucky sunuvabitch and get to hunt on a large private hunting club. I've heard there're a lot of hogs down in Liggett, and Elk. I'll be collecting hides from all the other hunters in camp to turn into buckskins.

13. blazindorito

tore my muscle, tendon, or hamstring can hardly walk. Hope I get better by this weekend so I can hunt or else I'll be watching deer nutting on TV all weekend.

14. mofugly13

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!:doah: That's my worst nightmare! See if you can find a good stand to intercept a spooked buck pushed out by the opening morning rush. Man, that sucks, try to get out there somehow!

15. blazindorito

I wouldn't miss opening morning even if my leg was broken. I have been trying really hard to wlak on it ust to make sure I can walk opening day. IT hurts but I love hunting more than anything else.

Went to sight in my rifles at the range today. HAd a hard time w/ my 300 win. mag. Just couldn't seem to zero it in. I would lower it and raise it and just couldn't. After 2 boxes still not satisfied. Wonder if it had anything to do with the reloads I did. I had 3 factory ammo ballistic silvertips and I was hitting dead center. Don't know whats up. Going again tomorrow afternoon to see if I can set it up correctly. Anyways set up my 30-06 and my dad's 7mm rem mag and they were on fire. Dead center all the way out to 250-300 yds and 2 ft low at 700 yds. I think. If I aim 6" at the top of the head of the target can hit it dead center. Think I am taking my 30-06 with short 24" barrel. Not crazy about it but it's dead accurate at 300yds. Any further and I need to compensate. Hope it works out good for us.

Mofugly good luck opening day and break the state record this year. Talked to a guy today at the range and he told me, he has pulled out big non-typicals from Fort Liggett. We'll see what happens. Good luck to everyone!!!

16. mofugly13

I'll take accuracy over power any day. My -06 shoots 1" groups, 2" high at 100 yards. I love my Rem 700, but I had to sight it in again this year because I changed stocks, my scope was not co-operating, took me almost 20 shots to sight it in. But chasing that zero is fun. I don't even want to think about putting two boxes of shells through a 300 Win Mag! Good luck blazin, and the rest of you A-zone hunters. I'm heading out tomorrow night.....
    Woooooohooooo!

17. blazindorito

Went Deer hunting Opening Day of A zone and had to stop hunting just didn't feel right. A young man 25 or 26 yrs. old had gotten shot around 6:30. It was the 2nd shot I heard. The young man was killed. I was communicating with the brother and hunting buddies trying to get some kind of help. Supposedly his partner walking ahead of him slipped and a shot went off going through the young mans stomach side to side. It was really terrible hearing this and talking with them and hearing the victim plead for help. Finally, after 2 hours my cousin and I coordinated sheriff's and rescue helicopter to the victim but it was too late. The young man bleed to death. Had a very uneasy weekend. Tried to hunt Sunday but the incident was on my mind. Felt weird being out there. We'll see what happens. Sheriff's think it wasn't an accident that someone actually shot him.

How did you do MOFUGLY, and everyone else?

18. mofugly13

Wow, what a buzzkill. That's a real tragedy. Sucks, man. I saw some doe and a few fawns, the only antlers I saw were a shed I found. Only one buck was killed in camp, out of about20 hunters. The moon just wasn't right. Whenever you can see the moon in the daytime, and temps. are up, te deer are scarce. I have a bunch of days off coming during the right moon phase next week, so hopefully more deer will be moving if it's not too hot. The guy who got a buck, I got his hide, so I have another to braintan, gonna make a cool coat after I tan 6-7 hides.

19. blazindorito

If you want our hides too from the deer we kill just say so and I will send them. Down here they tend too have a lot of ticks. I can RAID them and then send them. LEt me know. When is the moon right moon phase and what days will it be? Have vacation until September 1. I never really understood the moon thing. I know that during the full moon phase deer bed early and down come out til late afternoon or not at all until night again. Thats all I know.

20. mofugly13

The best time for hunting can be found here. The best days to find deer are the ones right before, during and after a new moon. I'll be taking off next Wednesday morning for a five day weekend of hunting fun. I'll take any hides you'll send me! If you get any bucks, wet salt them and drain them like this page says, throw 'em in a 5 gallon bucket5 and lemme know what shipping will be. I learned a good lesson on my first hide I tanned, keep the knife off the hide. Even the slightest cuts show up in the finished product. I'm going to skin my buck the way this article instructs. I use my knife very little while skinning, but apparently, I did a bit of slicing on the hide. You could probably fit 2-3 hides, wet salted, in a 5 gal. bucket. Good luck this weekend, blazindorito.