Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hunting radio help needed

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BurbinOR, Nov 10, 2003.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

We use the FRS radios (14 channel, 38 sub channels) and they're OK for line of sight, but in the coast range where we hunt they are pretty worthless. Any suggestions for a compact unit that has headset compatibility and are good for thick forested terrain? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Which one do you use? I've got the Motorola Talkabout T5200 with an earpiece and it works great. Mind you I do hunt eastern oregon, but I have also used mine in the TSF (thick forest) and have never had a problem using it.

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

TAZZ...your radio has an "EYE piece"? What is the funcion of that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If FRS radios aren't cutting it for ya' and you want to stay with unlicensed radios then MURS might be what you're looking for.

A couple of MURS radios available

MURS is a fairly new band regulated under Part 95 of the FCC rules. Which means they are in the same class as regular CB's and FRS radios. They are VHF frequencies so given equal power they will generally reach farther, especially in forest environments, than FRS radios (which are UHF frequencies). They also have more power than FRS radios. Up to 2 watts. The normal range claims are around 5 miles with MURS radios.

Your other options are GMRS or Amateur radios. GMRS requires you to purchase a license from the FCC and Amateur radio requires taking a test for a license. Both however, allow for more options in radios, antenna gain, and power output.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif oooops....i'll have to fix that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

We've got total of 6 - all Talkabouts in some form, and they do not work at the coast range hunting.......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks..........appreciate the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TAZZ...your radio has an "EYE piece"? What is the funcion of that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!! I needed a good laugh, thanks.

John