Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hurculined over rust holes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Sep 8, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone hurculined over their floorboard....just curious if the rust kept on spreading....I wanna do it but the only things that bother me is that one the rust will still spread further and two when I am ready to replace the floor board I have to hack through all the hurculiner to cut it out.

2. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

my advice would be to clean the area up and remove the loose rust. i would use a wire wheel on a drill or even a wire brush. then apply some rust inhibiter. you can pick it up at wal-mart fairly cheap. follow the directions, then you can paint over it. as long as you do a good job and do it right the rust wont spread.

3. red66scout

red66scout Registered Member

i have the interior of my socut herculined. just clean up the interior really well with a wire brush. I would reccomend putting down a rust inhibitor if you are worried about rust spreading. The herculiner helps to prevent new rust from forming and to slow down old rust. It does that by not allowing the herculined side of the metal make contact with the oxygen in the air to from iron oxide (rust). The rust should not pread. I have not noticed any spreading of what little surface rust i had. You will have to cut through the herculiner if you plan on replacing the floor board after you herculine it.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have done the bed of a truck with hurculiner before and was happy with the outcome. It wasn't near tough enough to shovel dirt from, the shovel ripped off shreads of it. I like the stuff and its way cheaper than line - x and whatnot so I was thinking of giving it a shot in my tub. I need to replace the floor board some day but for now I thought it would be nice just to hurculine and worry about the rust later. I just didnt want to make it worst some how.... Also since I have so many little rust pin holes I'd like to fill in some of the unwanted ones. Most of the holes are quarter size...some a little larger some a little smaller....