Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hurculiner On the inside of the floor of the cab ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TJS, Dec 10, 2002.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I have a nice new carpet (rubberized one) I want to install soon. I also want to wire wheel the floor on the inside, there is no rust really. I just want to clean it up and protect it and then install the mat. Can I use the Hurculiner system for this. Has anyone ever done this ?
    If so how did it come out. Thanks in advance.
    T.J.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I did... but I used Duplicolor roll on bedliner... it turned out great... except for one part on the floor where i didnt get out all of some kinda rubber crap on it and the bedliner bubbled up a little... but no biggy... it looks aweosme, and i put my carpet over it.
    http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/dc4x4/pic994.html
    thats what it looks like on my bed...

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I used the Duplicolor on the inside of the cab on my K10. It works great. i can get pics if yould like.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i used herculiner on mine, put it in almost 2 years ago [damn doesnt seem that long] but its still doing GREAT

6. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

Where'd you get the rubberized carpet?

7. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I got the floor mat setup from JC Whitney. I try and not to make it a habbit to buy stuff from them cause some of the
    quality of parts are poor. However this mat is really nice.
    I will take pics when I install it after I do the hurculiner stuff inside as well. Thanks for all the help people.
    T.J.

8. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Re: Hurculiner On the inside of the floor of the cab ? *DELETED*

Post deleted by k5blazerus

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Colin,
    You need to edit the link to show your community page insted of the edit page...

10. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK I've got my floor cleaned up I'm almost ready to start covering the floor in Durabak gray. Anybody got any ideas on what to do with the miscellanous wires that used to run under the carpet? Also I plan on spraying most of it with a Shultz undercoating gun, think this will work OK?

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've heard good things about the Herculiner stuff on the inside.

I'm a cheapskate. I've used both Dupli-Color and Plasti-Kote rattle can stuff. The Dupli-Color is falling off the underside of my truck nicely but the Plasti-Kote stuff is still sticking. Both got the same treatment, wire brush followed by basin tub and tile cleaner, and then a rinse. I used Plasti-Kote inside my truck and don't have many complaints so far. My only real complaint is that it's so scratchy that I can't wipe it up with a paper towel without leaving most of the towel stuck to it. You can put a pretty rough texture in there if you hold the can far away.

Here's a picture of my passenger floor after hosing it out:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/wheeling/mohawkarea-110902/whyidonthaveavinylfloor_hosed.jpg

13. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about the rattle can stuff but I figured it would be pretty expensive to do much area. How many cans did it take you?

Duplicolor roll in is fairly slick when wet even though its fairly bumpy.

I've got the duplicolor in my bed and it holds up deccent. Preperation seems to be the key. It dont stick for crap on paint unless you rought the heck outa it. Used quite a few copper sos type pads and sand paper. We just did a scuff job on a buddies s 10 with the supplied scotch bright and learned our lesson for my truck.

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I think the Dupli-color stuff wants primer or something. It doesn't stick to rust for beans.

It took four cans. Everything has at least four coats. It doesn't stick unless you rough it up good. I used 40 grit sandpaper. I haven't done the driver's side kickpanel yet though. I did it before I removed the parking brake pedal and to get the plastic panel off would be a pain with the parking brake pedal in place. I'm just waiting for warm weather now.

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

dont be cheap... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Use HERCULINER!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If they sold the stuff for a more reasonable price then I'd consider it. $125 to do the bed of my truck is a bit much. I'd rather paint it every couple years for half that.

If it was under $100 I'd be more willing. But $125 wholesale for 5 quarts is a bit steep especially since 5 quarts will _barely_ do a longbed.

17. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've used Herculiner on the inside of both my 87K5 and 68 F**D Bronco. Great stuff and lasts forever it seems. Same old story though, you get what you pay for in most cases. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifFor me, I have better things to do then re-do the interior every couple of years with some cheap spray on. Like the old Snap-On saying, "why is it we always have time to do it again but we never seem to have enough time to do it right the first time?" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

19. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

dude... the duplicolor stuff sucks... and the spray on is even worse... would you rather spend a few bucks more or have a shitty looking bed/interior cause it is peeling up in places.....

Dont be a moron.. listen to those with experience... if you wnat pics of herculiner go to the link below and click on project psycho chicken... there is my herc pics.. I'm rteplacing the floor up front right now, tonight and will be herculining it by the end of christmas.. all my insides will be herced then!!!

This stuff kicks @ss /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I did the Duplicolor stuff in my bed and inside the cab and am not impressed. Basically just thick black paint. Very slippery as others have pointed out. I followed the instructions carefully, even using the acetone to clean first, and the stuff in the bed didn't even hold up to one load of firewood. The stuff in the cab has held up a little better. Sure doesn't insulate though, definitely need to put some kind of floor covering back in to keep the noise down and the heat and cold out. I wouldn't waste any money on the Duplicolor.