Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hurculiner Q's....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 81Bogger, Dec 3, 2001.

1. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

Hurculiner Q\'s....

What is the best source for Huculiner??

-You can put in on with a roller right? Anyone know how it holds up in in COLD climates?
    About how far does a quart/gallon go??

Thanks for the info!

"Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view..."

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: Hurculiner Q\'s....

Local parts stores all should carry it like Pep Boys, Napa and so on. I sometimes see it at Costco and Sam's Club. I saw a gallon set at Sam's for $50.... then they had a $20 mail in rebate. I wish I bought it now. Maybe you can look around and find something like this. Just be careful and avoid getting it on your hootus! [​IMG]

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

that was the most hillarious story i had ever heard, anyone know how hard it is to hurculine the whole inside floor and how much of the stuff you would need?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

4. ChevyCaGal

I don't image it would be much harder then what I used which was the duplicolor stuff... I did the back floor and made some new side panels and coated them. Took one gallon because I glopped it on thick. The thing that was the biggest pain was tearing up the old carpet. I dunno what that black stuff was (tar possibly?) that was used to hold it in place but that sucked ripping that out.... than I just bought some 3M pads and scuffed the floor up and it stuck fine to it.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

about how long did it take you. right now im just sic of the carpetng in my truck i was gunna replace the front carpets but there is some leakage in the back and there is someting to be said for being able to just wash out the bed of the truck. Did everything mount up like it did when there was carpet to the seats rattle around much?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

6. ChevyCaGal

I was so sick of my back carpet. It was tan but it was turning a sick color. There was so much just crap mashed into it. Then the red icee stain did it for me. I had to tear it out. It took me 2 days to do it. One day (like 5 hours) to tear out the carpet and clean it up really well. Then scuff it up and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol.... then the next day I coated it. Took only about 20-30 minutes per coat and I did 3.... but I had to wait in between coats for it set up. I didn't remove the rear seat to do it. I just painted around it. The panels I made (on another day which took just a few hours) I had to cut an extra 1/8 inch off when it was done to fit. But the rotozip took that off in 10 minutes each side. I just got some 3/8 ply wood took off my old ones and traced a pattern onto it and cut them out. I think I may chop them up and make storage in them. Everything mounted up fine. But I didn't remove too much to have to put back with the exception of trim. The seat rattled before and still does now. I think I might buy some of that padded tape you use to wrap baseball bats with then wrap the seat on the bottom in hopes that helps it. If not then I will turn the radio up louder! [​IMG] As for leaks never had em before and don't now.

Suck Fumes Ford Boy

7. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western

Hmm, Herculiner the whole inside, now that sounds like a damn good idea. Low maintenance, easy cleaning, easy to touch up, and it should insulate the metal in winter as well. Guess I better check out my nearest Sam's

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. ChevyCaGal

BTW you might wanna look into this stuff called Steph's Webpage&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy

9. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I did mine a couple of months ago. I wet sanded the bed,wiped it down with thinner and started rolling it on
    It took about 6 hours and I used all but a little bit on the bottom out of a gallon, Just don't pour it on the bed and roll it out
    I got lazy and did that and it looks like crap in the spot that I did it.. hope this helps

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I did the exterior in herculiner. I live in iowa where it gets friggen cold and it holds up great. I rolled it on, but, I bought the roller set for the duplicolor stuff it works much better than the roller that comes with the herculiner set. My herculiner faded after about 1 week so this is what I did. I used rattle can black gloss rustoleum and it looks great (as great as a herculined truck can!) no fading and it keeps the glossy look all year around. I can touch up any spots with spraypaint from any wal-mart.

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yup some of us guys in the rust belt have gone the outside route too. I have it from the silverado stripe ddown on my truck and when I get the blazer back in a few weeks from geting the floor welded in I am POR15'ing both side and then go the POR primer and Herculiner over that too. I also clear coated mine and will in the bed as well so it doesn't fade in the sun. Make sure you get a clear coat that is UV protected.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yay, another thread on herculiner! =) This is one of the few subjects that I feel comfortable calling myself an "expert" on, on ck5. lol! At any rate, if you are looking to do your whole interior in herculiner, check out my webshots album....I have my whole tub done...as well as my rear tool and speaker boxes. ;) I have had it on for over a year and really dig it. So nice to be able to roll it on and FORGET ABOUT IT! Unlike when I had carpet, I can throw wet/muddy gear in the back and just shrug it off...no big deal...and when I get home, a big brush and a little hosing off makes it look like new. The *only* issue I have with Herc, is that if exposed to much sun-light, it WILL fade to a reaaaaaally flat black color. If thats what you want, np...but if you like its look when you roll it on, I highly recommend that once the stuff cures...you spray it with some kind of rattle-can UV-protectant clear coat. The guys that make herculiner sell their own version of this...I am not convinced that its any better than the cheap rattlecan stuff.

At any rate, herc is great stuff, just dont forget to...UV coat it...WEAR GLOVES when you apply it...and prep the surface well, and it oughta work out great.

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Steph, glad the duplicolor stuff worked out for you. My brother's didn't hold up at all (he did the inside of his '70 K5). He eventually took it all out (had lots of fun in the process), returned it to the store, and bought some Herculiner. From what I've seen, I like it a lot better.

I'm still considering Herculing mine when I get done with the body repair/mods. Anybody tried the red stuff?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd