Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hurricane in south Texas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Jul 14, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Anybody got advice for driving in the hurricane in the Corpus Christi area? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow (Tues.) morning to go to CC to pickup some axles. Gonna drive all the way down, load them up, and drive all the way back home to be back before noon Wed. 1800 miles round trip. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's not as bad as the news makes it out to be. Once the storm hits land it will lose strength. Besides it's still not a hurricane (yet), so it may not get much stronger before it hits land.

The biggest problem you might have would be driving into an area with a power outage during the heavy rains and such. In this situation brush, trees and debris that have either fallen or been blown into the road will be difficult to see. Just be very careful, drive smart and recognize when to stop and wait.

In '99 my wife, TARussell and I drove home from the Indy jamboree through a cat. 2 hurricane! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Are you coming through Abilene by any chance?

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Good luck with the drive Wes. I'm flying to Florida on Wed. and driving back to Colorado with my daughter who is just finishing school in Sarasota. I hope to be back by Sat. night or Sun.
    I hope we don't run into any of those hurricanes.

5. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you coming through Abilene by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's Abilene? I only know of an Abilene, KS. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Anyways, we are taking I-35 all the way and probably won't be trying to schedule any stops as we need to be back home before Wed. afternoon. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

EVERYBODY: Are there any areas in OK and TX to watch for highway patrols/sheriffs deputies? Any sections that I need to watch for? We are really pressed for time but don't want to get throw in jail. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Mainly just the cities! They LOVE I35! I wouldn't worry about Dallas, If you drive too slow in Dallas, they'll run you over! Watch out in Austin and some of the medium/small cities where the 4 laner slows! If you run into any problems, Call me! I'm sure I'll be able to work something out to come assist you! Also, If oyu need a place to crash, don't hesitate to call! You have Charles number too, he lives right off I35, but spends 90% of his time up here at Fort Hood!

Drive Safe and be careful! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

since your taking I-35, i suppose you're then gunna go to 37 in SA and from there down to Corpus. So you'll miss the big cop areas like victoria and other small cities that like ta get you for going 5 over.

8. thatK30guy

NEW UPDATE!

Just called Robert whom has been holding the axles and he says tomorrow (Tues.) will not work as it was the worst possible time for him to help out.

I will be calling him back tomorrow to see how the weather goes and hopefully we will be leaving around Wed. evening if the worst part of the storm passes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, how long do storms like this last for? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Watch out around Hillsboro and Corsicana between Dallas and Waco. Also just N of Waco. I used to travel Austin / Dallas almost every two weeks and the state boys were ALWAYS there. Don't be fooled into thinking after you have passed one in that area you are home free, that is just not the case. I have seen as many as 3, all set up with laser, in a ten mile stretch along there.

BH.

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Going down I-35 you will be 150 mi to the east of Abilene,
    good luck.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The wind will last for less than a day, rain lasts for a week or more. Need any help when your blasting through San Antonio, let me know...

12. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hmmmmm i think i'll hafta go to roberts to meet ya. would be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much, it ain't that big of a storm to begin with and it'll peter out as soon it hits land...as for the speed traps, they pretty much hide behind bushes all along I35...good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    NEW UPDATE!

Just called Robert whom has been holding the axles and he says tomorrow (Tues.) will not work as it was the worst possible time for him to help out.

I will be calling him back tomorrow to see how the weather goes and hopefully we will be leaving around Wed. evening if the worst part of the storm passes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, how long do storms like this last for? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Most hurricains will drag in so much moisture that you will proably have non stop rain from south of dallas for the next couple days till the Jet stream drags that mess back over Louisanna.

15. thatK30guy

Would Thurs. morning be ok time to get there and load up then? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Watch out for cops around Selma. It's on the northern edge of San Antonio. Somebody from around there should be able to let you exactly where it is, but it has been a speed trap in the past.

Kirk

17. thatK30guy

Just talked to Robert. We are gonna be there at his shop on Thurs. morning to load up and get right back on the road home. Leaving Wed. night for the long drive down. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the axles will be clean by Friday night! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. thatK30guy

They should be clean after the big hurricane going thru down there! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I will send you another PM once I get back home to let you know we made it and also for the "ok" for you to go ahead and plan on coming Friday. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Haha... big hurricane?! It was like drizzle and wind! Let me tell you what I think about this hurricane....

I was in my bathtub in the fetal position holding on to my pillow for dear life!

Hah! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

No but it realy was just some drizzle and some wind... I didn't even have to shut off my computer.