Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hurricane Katrina - Atleast Theres *One* Good Thing About It..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TLCOR, Sep 7, 2005.

1. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

..The fact the insurance companies will recieve a bunch of damaged GM Pickups and SUVs - that you guys can build Crawlers of ! ;) :wink1: How is the rules on this, in US BTW ?

(Full condolation to the the ones that lost their lives and their families, though. Actually I was in New Orleans ~ a month ago, when there was a small hurricane their..)

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

ACtually there's another good thing....

My friend had JUST transfered to Tulane (in New Orleans) from a state school in Mass. and because Tulane will be shut down for at least a semester Bush made a speech asking colleges to "open their doors" to misplaced students. So now my friend gets to go to Columbia (Ivy League) for a year because of this :D

3. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Thats good for him ? :D

Here is a picture to demonstrate what Im talking about:

[​IMG]

Notice that poor Corvette C5.. :doah:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

scrap iron now..

It is depressing to see all the vehicles that were totaled--not to mention the human death toll..I see roughly 50+ vehicles in your picture--at todays scrap price of 85 dollars a ton,assuming each one weighs 2 tons,thats 200,000 lbs of scrap in that picture alone!.(8000+bucks?)..I bet the prices for scrap drop quickly when all those vehicles hit the shredders--not much will be salvageable in most of them I bet,with salt water in all the engines and drivetrains..and sewage soaked interiors.. :( :crazy:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The 'vette don't look that bad . Perhaps some glass and some paint , and dry it out . Someone who ends up buying it from the insurance company is gonna score .

BTW , that looks like dealer inventory , never sold yet , see the model year stickers on teh window corners .

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The dealers or insurance companies will sell them as a lot like lots of 50 or so. There is a company out here that buys lots like that and them resells them, some, not in this case, just have like one broken window. Flood damage is not that bad if you can get to it and get it dried out a lot of work but the hard components don't really get hurt.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Baur-Investments-LLC_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

When the hurricane happened in Florida last fall or so they bought like 75 cars and vans Dodge's and some that I looked at the only thing that was wrong was the window had been broken. The insurance probally totals all the inventory to save time and work.

7. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Insurance Tech ?

So you can actually do that, and get licenseplates for it ? I cant believe it a more popular thing do to, then. Does the scrapyards buy wrecked vehicles from the insurance companies with "taxmoney" ? Or how does it work ? Well, I atleast see a bunch of GM Rigs, ready to be built - and to hit the Rocks ! (The Avalanche and Silverados f.ex..)

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

With todays cars relying on the computer as much as they do ... I doubt those cars would be worth messing with.

My old K5 was flooded above the dash and faired ok .. and that was imediate attention afterwards ... I think those in the pic are goners.

9. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Really ? The electric part I get somewhat, but changing some harness and mixing around would IMO be worth it ! And all the mechanical stuff is "always" rebuildable, and the interiorclothing can dry. The saltwater makes it a tad worse, but still.. (Offcourse Im not talking about saving Honda Civics, but building capable wheelers out of GM Trucks !)

10. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I wish they could regulate it better. A part of me says they should crush them so they don't end up on some used car lot but then again if they'd make a law like that a lot of classic cars and trucks would be lost. Its scary to think of all these flooded out cars with tons of electrical problems will be sold like nothings wrong with them.

The car dealerships over here are already advertising that they will give $5,000 mimimum trade (off the MSRP :p: ) for a flooded car. They are trying to get people to trade them in instead of getting insurance money and a lot of people will.
    "Let's see, the insurance company will give me $3,500 for my car or I can get $5,00 from this car dealer." Then the car dealer cleans them up and sells them for $6,000 to some poor fool. :doah: All the while no carfax report or any other report will ever show the damage :eek1:

11. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Yes, offcourse there are situastions like that, its better to sell them that scrap them IMO. But that is not what thise Thread was about, live up to your name and build up that Avalanche, Mr Hardcore. :D

12. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

you put too much faith in Carfax being accurate.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't think it would be that bad if cleaned up well . They're still new , with weatherpack connectors , dielectric on connections etc .

And with most computers on the inner fenderwells nowadays , I assume the computers are potted .

14. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i did a couple of flooders. i don't know if these rules apply everywhere or just illinois but here if a cars carpeting (floor) gets covered with water its considered flooded and total loss (as far as insurance co. goes) so they have to scrap it.

you can buy those cars at auctions the thing is you have to have a rebuilders license which means you have to have a repair shop and pay off... errrr... pay some fees to the town/state whatever. once you repair them you have to take them to safety lane and then you can get your title but its a flood title.

from what i noticed the electronics build up some white crud on them after flooding but only while in use, and it takes time. i kept one of those flooders and drove it, i had to clean up the circuit board for the blinker (yes the blinker had a circuit board back in 94) because it froze, and replaced the puter both about a year into driving. as far as i see a lot of people are about to have electronics problems within coulple of years. (had no electrical/wireing problems)

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

after the flood in 98, the people that I knew that tried to keep their flooded cars noticed the same thing. One by one things stop working. About the time you get something fixed.. something else goes out... and so on, and so on.

I myself, can do without that aggrivation. Maybe someone else would not mind.. but theres nothing I want to drive bad enough, that can be cheap enough, to deal with it.. unless it's an older car, that does not have as many "components".

16. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

So you actually built some ? Pics ? What is a title, I cant seem to remember ? Having to go to a repairshop sounds stupid - kind of reminds me of Norways regulations.. :D My oponion is still, the fact that the flooded 4x4s (And the C5 :D) are fully saveable, and ready for major building..