Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HURRY np208 HELP got figured out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, May 13, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what does it take to change the chain in a 208? i bought a used 208 that was suposibly "rebuilt 20,000 miles ago" and the chain is worse than the one that its replacing. i have a good one in another tcase and am wondering if it worth my time. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: HURRY np208 chain help

It isn't terribly hard. Basic hand tools are all that is needed.

You have to split the case in half to do it obviously. It is fairly straight forward once you get inside. There are large snap rings that hold the gear on the mainshaft. They are a PITA to take out but they do come out. I don't remember if you have to pull the mainshaft to get the chain off. If you do make sure you do it in an area that is clean and do it over a large towel or blanket. There are about 80 needle bearings that will go everywhere if you are not ready for it.

Just keep track of the way things come apart and reassemble in reverse order.

Harley

3. big83chevy4x4

well im an idiot, i pulled the tailshaft off and that when i though the chain was junk /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

i have another question, will any needle bearings fall out if i just remove the tailshaft? because after i put the tailshaft back in i moved it and heard something rolling around inside, i pulled the drain plug and reached my finger in there and got 3 needle bearings about 1/4" long. this tcase is really pissing me off, im about ready to take it back to the guy and get my money back. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

you should be able to split the t case in half from the back side with out loosing needles as long as you don't pull the main shaft out. you can pull the front shaft out to get the chain off /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

where do these needle bearings go that fell out then? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

figured out what im going to do, take the tcase i bought back to the guy and get my money back. then im going to rebuild my tcase i took out of my truck in a few weeks. i drove it for 900 miles with no oil in it (right after i bought) , who knows how long before that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

the tcase i took out of my truck was stuck in 4wd (had hi & low ranges, 2hi stayed in 4hi). when i took the tailshaft off, something happened and it poped in to 2hi. i think it has something to do with the rear bearing, it was halfway out of the case, but when i tried to put it back in, i couldn't (needed to be pressed) put it back together and it workes fine, i have 4hi N 4lo and 2hi /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I dont know about where your from, but np208s up here are about as common rusty fords and cheaper than the dudes that drive them. you should be able to pick one up on any sunday for $100