Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hy-steer ???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Nov 13, 2002.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve are you guy going to make hy-steer arms? I am wanting to go with a hy-steer set up and I was very pleased with the quality of your dana 60 cross over steering arm. so I was wondering if you guys had somthing ready to go.
    Thanks

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Same question. I've been impressed with OffRoad Design so far but have been looking at the Avalanche Engineering high steer setup too when I do my crossover steering. Seems that the prices are in the same ballpark. But, how strong are those heim joints compared to tie rod ends? Steve?

3. Desert Rat

Ok, found some comments in another post about the major stress put on the rods by using a high steer setup so you may have already answered the question. I wonder how many folks have gone with a high steer and have broken stuff as a result.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I know of at least one with a couple broken parts!
    We have looked at a couple of alternate ways to do this and nothing works out as well as I'd like. We may go ahead and build a 2 hole right arm and just sell it with a disclaimer and a really beefy tie rod. I don't think it's going to be a good street setup ever but for a trail rig it may be worth the tradeoff.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> How about a behind-the-knuckle setup? </font color>

6. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Haven't broken mine yet. I have the Sunray Engineering arms. Lord knows if it could be broke, I would break it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I 2nd THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

could you post a link to that thread...i am not understanding how it would but alot more stress on it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif..

9. Desert Rat

Have you considered the heim joints Steve? Or are the stock style tie rod ends that much more beefy?

10. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

Re: Hy-steer ??? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Stephen

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't make it a habit either. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Buy a membership if you want to sell something. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Please remove this post. like stated before, pay the 25 dollars or use PM to let people know you have stuff for sale.
    Grant

13. Stephen

Obviously judging by the number of people making the tie rod over setup work, it can work. What you have problems with is there is less margin for error. As Mr Fox has proven, the tie rod sees a lot of stress and if it's not all done just right, it fails. Also, with the rod moved back you have a much greater chance of having a shimmy or "death wobble" problem. We do have one customer that put the rod in the factory location just because of this. I'd like to find an ideal solution but I'm really not sure there is one so we're looking at just optimizing what we can and making sure the customer knows there may be some problems.
    We have looked at double ended arms to put the tie rod behind and it is once again a situation where it may work for you but isn't really something we can sell as a bolt on kit. Then again, all a lot of guys need is a place to start.....

14. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I went hysteer and built a tierod out of 2" solid 4130 rod
    and used 3/4 heims and havent even come close to breaking anything.I agree that if you go hysteer and dont beef stuff up it will eventually fail.........

15. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

do you have hydro assist?

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Stephen,

I ordered my D60 arm with intentions of going Hi-Steer some day. On the phone, you had mentioned the possibility of making the arm for the left side with single hole and then running a tierod with hole for draglink tierod similar to yours. Is this still a possibility? What are the pros - cons of this setup?

17. Stephen

I think a solid 2" chromo bar will handle whatever you can do to it! I'm running a 1.5 x .188 wall DOM tube with no problems! It's typically stuff like small shank rod ends that hurt you in regard to strength. The amount of slack you can get in the ends is more critical when the tie rod is moved back, that's what will cause or increase the "death wobble".

Problems with running the draglink into the tie-rod:
    Complex tie rod (compared to a simple tube anyway)
    shorter draglink
    tie rod will roll up and down when you steer which takes away a little of your steering motion and gives it a slightly less responsive feel.

Pros:
    Downhill draglink end pivots, does not need or use much angularity.
    Lets you keep the tie rod mounted farther out
    Arms are less complex since they only have/need one hole

18. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Yep ive got hydr assist.