Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hybird engines for K5's?? Available?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

As the title says..
    anyone done any research into this? If so...what engine (s) would fit the 70's/80's full size blazers?
    Gasoline is $5.00 a gallon for me here in Korea and I'll be shipping it back to the states in the fall. Still...gas prices are over $2.00 a gallon! $60.00 for a fill up at 11 miles a gallon!
    How are you guys doing it?!?! Gesh...you all must be rich filling up every few days!

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

My plan is to buy a commuter car for daily use and save the k5 for wheelin/camping. Between the weight of a k5, its enormous drag, and nothing that would bolt in...I don't think it would be worth it.

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Gas might be expensive but so is a car payment and/or insuranse on a second car. Plus when I commute I feel much safer being behind the wheel of BIG IRON the safest way to go condsidering I see almost a accident a day on my 25min drive, and hear about plenty more on the radio each morning. Do a good tune up and loose as much weight as is feasable, and you can get 12-14mpg.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No way around the insurence payments, but you don't have too buy a new car for a commuter. You can pick up a 88 to 96 Chevrolet Beretta with a V6 pretty cheap anymore. Sure a 4 popper might be better on gas, but I'm willing too give up a couple mpg's for something alittle funner to drive. I mention the Beretta because it's sportier then a Caviler, or Lumina.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not a hybrid engine, but I gained 7.5 mpg swapping in a 6.2 diesel into my Jimmy.

I average 16.5 mpg on the freeway, although I don't drive it much lately that isn't because of fuel mileage reasons. With no overdrive and 39.5" TSL's I'd say that is great mileage. With some 35 or 36" radials and an overdrive I could break 20 mpg easily.

The swap has paid for itself already...

Rene