Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hybred front axel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just a thought here.
    I have seen front axels made from Ford 9 inchers and even the 10.5 14 bolt axel. So I was pondering My thoughts and wondering why the semi float 14 bolt axel would'nt make a good front axel. It has just about the same size ring and pinion as a Dana 60 and GM made a billon of them. I know it could be done and I also know that it would cost alot but lets face it how many Dana 60's are left. Just think of all those 8 lug semi-floaters out there that no one wants and are a dime a dozen.

2. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

didnt one of the top truck chalange trucks have a hybred 14 in it? I think it did.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

The new front axle made by AAM used in new Dodge trucks is based off the semi float 14 bolt. I think it would make a great front diff- EASY to set up gears and good clearance. Discussed awhile back.....

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

No reason that it wouldn't make a good front diff, other than the outrageous cost of putting it all together. For the price of putting it together you could just get a rear D60 and do the same to it, and have that much more choice in lockers, gears and aftermarket support. Plus if you did it with a D60 center you wouldn't have to have custom shafts made, you could probably make it work with standard off the shelf shafts.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

one of the wagoner machine shop guys runs a 14 bolt front axle in his jeep...its a pretty sweet conversation piece but dont know if its worth the price...

Later