Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hybrid 205 questions and problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, May 2, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm building a hybrid 205 for my truggy doubler. Ford 31 spline female input (just like TH400 input, but 1 less spline), and 32 spline large front output in a GM case for passenger drop. For the most part, it's pretty simple to do, but I ran into some minor problems. This is what I have:

The Ford internals were nearly new, I don't think that case had ever been in 4WD. Since they were "worn in together", I decided to keep them all together, just swap to the GM case. There are some GM pieces besides the case that *must* remain. That includes the rear output cast steel bearing housing and shift rails. However, you have to use the front output backing plate from the Ford because the bearing is larger.

These are my questions:

1) You still have to use the GM cast steel rear output bearing housing. But the Ford output shaft has a completely different speedo drive gear. It’s made of nylon and the output shaft is splined for the speedo drive gear. The GM drive gear is narrower, taller, metal and has no internal splines. The GM driven gear/shaft must be used with the GM output housing, but the GM driven gear will not mesh with the Ford drive gear. I may have to pull it back apart and use the GM rear output shaft… Far as I know, it should work with the Ford input. Is that true??? That also means that I will need a new gasket kit since the gasket for the rear output has already been set with Super Black… /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2) The front and rear output shafts on the Ford use the same seal, my kit didn’t have but one of that size, and it was VERY tight in the seal housing.

3) The Ford yokes have dust shields on them. I’m changing yokes, do those shields just press off? Seems like I read that somewhere, but never had to think about this before…

4) Does anyone have the torque specs for all the bolts (including the intermediate shaft nut)? I loaned out my manuals and I don’t have the info handy. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any ideas? Any "heads up" warnings?

2. BadDog

Anybody got the torque specs???

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Russ, PM me your fone number

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

might be a good idea to phone doctor watson... he knows his t-case tech...

j

5. BadDog

I've already talked to him twice today about my doubler adapter and the project in general. Forgot to ask him about the torque specs and I hate to bother him again, he is very busy, plus he is closed now.

I gotta get ahold of Juan. He has my manuals, I loaned them to him to help with his engine/TBI swap this week end, and forgot to get the specs before he left... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

russ,
    ITS A TRAIL RIG.... why are you worried about the spedo?
    is it even legal in the lawless south west?

ok, on a serious note, i dont know on the spedo thing, i might run into the same problem. i have yet to touch my cases. and i have a few things torn appart on the bench now, so i need to know how those go together, as i cant start another project because i will forget....
    yeah, i know... im not a memory type of guy...

as for the gaskits, did you get a ford or chevy kit? maybe they are different? or not included in the kit?

dust chields, i dunno.

TQ specs, nope, i still dont know.

i guess what i am saying is this, i am of no help for ya.

BUT, im going to come to your house, and take your doubler before ya find it on your door step... he he, i wish...
    but i couldnt do that to anybody...

good luck, and i am going to keep an eye on this post as for i may run into the same problems, and will need the TQ specs.
    Grant