Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hybrid K5/S10 and stock axle strengths

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigburban383, Apr 9, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I started thinking more about my K5 blazer frame since summer is coming around I am going to get a chance to start on it. If I get like 4.88s for the 10 bolts and run like 35's to 38's backed with a 305 SB(vortec /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif), do you think it can handle a lead foot?

I am planning a S10 cab and making it as light as possible.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nobody is going to tell you that a 10 bolt will hole up to 38s unless they have no idea what they're talking about.

A 305 vortec is still a 305.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

And you Tim are still an ass.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

from what i've heard, 35s are about as big as you want to go on 10 bolts. if the truck sees mostly street duty, you should be ok, but for any kind of abuse, i would avoid it. however, since i still have a 10 bolt in my truck, and have the urge to run a tire larger than 35", i'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

justhorsinaround, you'd advise against it too if you broke your 10 bolt every time you wheeled it with 38s...

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It wasn't that, it was the 305 comment.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Tim is right here too. 305s are great motors, for light daily drivers, where power isnt much of a convern. however for a wheeler where power is wanted, the 3.735" bore is a major drawback. it shrouds the valves, and kills performance. just because it has a MPFI setup on it doesnt make the bore any bigger, so it still sucks just as much as a 2bbl 305. my 86 has a 305 under the hood, and it does great, for a stock 1/2 ton truck, with 2.73 gears. just not the kind of power i want when i'm running through the woods, or rocker deep in the local mud hole...

7. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I was kinda wondering about the axle strengths because they would be run under a very light vehicle. Doesn't vehicle weight have a large determining factor when it comes to tire size vs. axle strength? Like jeeps got little axles because they are little trucks.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well 2.73 is crap ratio even if it had a 454 in it it would be doggy lol

305 LG4 and L69 4bbl 80-up were great runners and decent axle ratio makes them feel like a 350 for sure, i know first hand with a 68 c-10 3.73 truck i put a 1980 caprice LG4 engine into that was just reassembled with new valve job and so forth,, it replaced the original 307 2bbl that was in the truck, the 305 was a HUGE improvement over the 307, after the LG4 i put in a fresh 355 with TRW slugs in it and it was not noticeably stronger than the LG4 was, the truck still lifted itself up a bit and took off damn fast like it did with the 80 LG4

its all about the axle ratio, thats what i will always believe, no matter what anyoen can say

good luck

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was kinda wondering about the axle strengths because they would be run under a very light vehicle. Doesn't vehicle weight have a large determining factor when it comes to tire size vs. axle strength? Like jeeps got little axles because they are little trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even Jeep owners go after GM 1 ton axles if they are running tires bigger than 35" and dont want to break axles everytime out. The weight of the tire and wheel combo are what tend to put the snap in the axle shafts of the smaller axles.