Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hybrid rear axle ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blk87K5, Sep 26, 2002.

1. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Hybrid rear axle ?\'s

Been thinking about making a custom rear w/ high clearance diff., any gear ratio, and large shafts. F*rd 9" r&p's are stronger than a D60 due to bigger pinion and ring gear, plus they have larger main bearings, and a shaved 9" has about the same clearance as a slightly shaved D44. 40 spline spools are also available for them. Ultimate in strength. Only problem has been the drive flanges. I am reasonably sure that Dutchman could make a set of 40 spline shafts w/ drive flanges attached for a full floater rear end. Could the outer portion of a 14 bolt be bolted on to the tubes out of the 9"? Trying to devise a way to have full floating rear end w/ 9" center section, 8 lug bolt pattern, and disc brakes. It probably wouldn't be worth all of the $ and hassle, but sure would be cool and a lot cheaper than mog axles.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Hybrid rear axle ?\'s

<font color="green"> No reason that a 14b end couldn't be put on the tube, it's just a matter of welding the proper flange to the axle tube for the spindle to bolt to and having custom axles made. </font color>

3. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

That is what I was thinking. After I have thought about it, it might not be as costly as I originally thought. Most expensive part will be the shafts. About $400, but they are chromo. 9" from junkyard, buy the tubing, make all flanges for brakes, use hubs from 14 bolt, and brakes from 3/4 ton front. Have to buy r&amp;p too, but would have to do that any way. Would have a custom width axle too.

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

What is the I.D. of a 14 bolt spindle? O.D. of a 40 spline shaft? I think they will fit, but not sure.