Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hybrid shackle.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by shaun, Apr 28, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Well I got my new 57 inchers but they are 3 inches wide instead of 2.5. My plan was to use a 2 inch longer (than stock) shackle hat has 2.5 inch gap on the bottom and a 3 inch on the top. Where would I find something like this. Also I was debating between using the ford hanger or narrowing the end of the springs for the front side. Which do you think would be better. And lastly it is a 4wd so which spring COULD I remove to make it softer. Top, bottom, middle?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We don't do much with the 57" springs so I'm not a good source for advice on them. I typically don't recommend removing leaves from any pack because of load carrying capacity. It sounds like you might need to change the front spring hangers to make them fit the 3" springs. It might be easier to get the 2.5" wide springs. ?

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Shaun,
    As far as I know I'm the only one that I know of that has done this so far. First off Ford hangers wont work. They stick out to far from the frame. What I did to mount 3" wide 57's on Mine was to use a set of (rear) front hanger from an 84 GM dually for My flip, which just needed about 1 1/4" trimmed of the top. For the shackle I welded half of a 2 1/2" wide Chevy shackle to half of a 3" wide Ford shackle. I actually used a little more that half of each one ending up with a hybrid shackle about 5 1/2" long. I had the front 3" of the main leafs narrowed 1/2" at a spring shop (Chevy bushings fit perfectly). You will need to use a Ford spring (U-bolt) plate. I used one from a 90 F-250 since Im running a 14 Blt FF, fits perfectly.
    I used springs from an 84 Bronco with 5 leafs. I tested them out this last weekend and they flex like crazy. I talked to several people who were having sagging problems with the 3 leaf packs so I feel the 5 leaf packs are a better way to go. They are super soft even with My top off and rear bumper off.
    Here is a shot of what I did. I can get some more shots for You this weekend if You want.
    [​IMG]

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

More pics would be great. I got the shackle part figured out, a shop in town is making me a set. Why cant I use a chevy springplate? Did you recenter your springs. What is it that makes the chevy spring plate not work. And can you explain why a ford hanger wont work again, I didnt quite understand. Thanks for all your help. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

A Chevy spring plate wont work cause the holes for the u-bolts are not wide enough since they are for a 2 1/2" wide spring. Ford spring plates have the holes spread out a 1/2" more to fit around the 3" wide spring. Also other than the width they are almost identical and I still was abel to use u-bolts for a 14 blt ff.
    The reason that Ford hangers wont work is because they stick out further from the frame. Basicly Your springs would be spread out to wide and would not line up with Your sping perches on the axel tube. I hope this makes since /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I understand the top plates but I still dont understand the hanger. I will have to look at the truck some more and see what you are explaining to me. Thanks for all the info. So how do the speings work? Godd flex? soft ride?? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif