Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hybroboost brake swap and anti locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Feb 16, 2007.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 90 bub has anti-lock brakes on it. The sensor is on the transfercase. My question is will swapping to a hydroboost affect the anti-locks? i don't really care if they don't work, I just don't want my brake idiot light ot be on all the time. Also do I just throw away all the proportioning valves that are below the master cylinder (I think they are for the anti-locks).

2. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I originally swapped to hydroboost and kept the anti-lock brakes on my '90 blazer. Yes the proportioning valve under the master cylinder is what the ABS works through. If you get rid of that you will have to get another proportioning valve...like one from the truck you are takinng the hydroboost from (which will be located up on the front frame crossmember)

I kept my ABS to see if it would help with rear-lockup people experience when they switch to discs on the 14 bolt. I never got that far before I trashed my blazer frame and *had* to buy a K30 :whistle: so I now longer have ABS. Good luck!

EDIT: And to answer your question: No, switching to hydropboost will not negatively affect the ABS...I did panic stop tests to verify this :D