Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hyd. clutch "87 C2500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pto blazer, Jul 29, 2006.

1. pto blazer

pto blazer Registered Member

I have a GMC 2500 2 wheel drive, today the tranny is very hard to shift, I turn off the engine to reverse, I can shift it without the clutch driving. There is no slippage, it spins the tires. I believe the problem lies in the hydraulic system, my other truck is mechanical and I have never worked on a hydraulic one. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

So what are you saying, that when the press the clutch it does not dis-engage the engine?
    Hydraulic setup is pretty basic. There's a little "master" cylinder on the firewall, ja little more outboard and lower than the brake master cylinder, it has a hydraulic line that goes down the "slave" cylinder, mounted horizontally off the edge of the bellhousing. It receives pressure and pushes a rod that pushes the clutch fork. If you break into the hydraulic system, just like with brakes, you'll need to bleed it. There's a little bleeder nipple on the slave.
    You can buy the master, the slave and the line for less than $100, if you think your problem is in the hydraulics that is.

3. pto blazer

pto blazer Registered Member

Thanks 73, I did crawl underneath and look, why I think its the hydraulic system is because the rod only moves the fork about 3/8" when the pedal fully depressed. So I get some line onto the nipple, into a jar of brake fliud and pump it? Is that all, what else should I do?