Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydaulic clutch for 72 K5 Blazer??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2quicK5, May 28, 2002.

1. 2quicK5

2quicK5 Registered Member

I have a 1972 K5 Blazer with an SM 465 4 sp. tranny. I am thinking about going to a hydraulic clutch set-up and was wondering how much trouble this is and what chevy parts from what years work. Thanks for your responses!!

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you're gonna have to do some fabing. I'll take pics of my setup some time this week and post them. I just finished installing mine for the second time.

ARQ.

3. lukefalls

lukefalls 1/2 ton status

Ah, here we go. I have been researching this for some time now. Here is what I came up with:
    Optioin 1: This is probably the easiest way to do the swap, but not the cheapest. You can go directly to GM and buy parts from an 85 K5 diesel (this info came from another CK5 member). Clutch fork 15592270, slave cylinder 15615868, hydrolic hose 15537760, bellhousing 15530202, pivot 15592268, master cylinder15615867. These are all GM factory parts, so they work.
    Option 2: I found a bellhousing from a junkyark from a 1961 Chevy/GMC truck (10-60 series will work) with a SM 420. I had to have the bearing retaner hole reamed out to fit the SM 465 bearing retaner (sm 420 is smaller). This bell came from the factory with a slave cylinder mount on the side. I used a Raybestos slave cylinder P# SC36124 and a Reybestoys master cylinder P# MC34404 or MC 34403 (either work). This is actually from that same 60's era chevy truck. then all you have to do is mount the master on the firewall. I have a three inch body lift, so when I mounted it the the hole where the origional clutch rod went through the floor, it didn't hit the valve cover. Then just run a hydrolic line from the master to the slave (make sure that it is DOT 3 proof!). The tough part is mounting the master to the fire wall, but not too bad.
    Option 3: Use your imagination and any matching master and slave cylinder. Stephen Watson said to try Landcruiser parts, not I didn't try it myself. I believe that he knows his stuff though. You'll have to fabricate a mount for the slave on your factory bellhousing. If you have anymore question, send me a PM or e-maill me and I'd be glad to help. If you need pics, just let me know. Good Luck

4. 2quicK5

2quicK5 Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys!!!