Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraboost brake guras, need yur opinions PLEASE !

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Dec 10, 2003.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i posted this once before i think, but want to bring it up again for scrutiny. id like to know if its possible to swap a metal master cylinder from a hydraboost system out and swap in a chevy plastic master cylinder from a vac based brake system ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif i think, some one in the past mentioned possible pressure related issues /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif using the plastic one. to me, the thing was designed to do what it does and there shouldnt be any issues, but wanted others opinions first. thanks ahead of time for ck5 wisdom. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I tried to retain my plastic resevoir MC when I swapped to hydroboost, but the diameter of the spigot at the back of the MC is different and the plastic one wouldn't fit. I ended up using the cast iron one...

They might make a plastic resevoir MC for the hydroboost...I never checked.

rene

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

k, thanks so far trusty5k. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you are correct about the higher pressure... the plastic one SHOULD not be swapped in place of the metal hydroboost m/c.... and the other poster is also correct ..it doesnt fit anyway... plastic rated for 750 psi... metal for 1200 plus
    hope this helps,,, I think I already posted this for you
    read it again....
    http://rpierce.freeyellow.com/BrakePaper.htm
    cam

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

k, thanks man.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I put a aluminum/plastic master (from a 93 K2500 8-lug vacuum booster) on my '91 V3500 w/ hydroboost. Worked for me.