Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraboost PS pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Jan 2, 2003.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I got a power steering pump for diesel truck without AC because it had two returns and a normal resivor. I am trying to mount it on a 350 with 350 brackets and it dosen't fit. I seems the pump itself is rotated about 45 degrees in the resivor. Can I turn it back 45 to make the bracket fit or should I just get a 350 pump and tee the return lines?
    Also, what remanufactured pumps do yall suggest? The one I have is from Napa but they think fairly highly their pumps. I am a little afraid of the A1-Cardone stuff the chain stores sell.

Thanks

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The diesel uses a different block and; therefore, different brackets. You will need to get the pump and brackets for a small block. You might look for one that came in a one ton van or possibly a one ton truck with a SB. Or you can just tee the lines together, they go to the same place anyway.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hydro boost was used on 1 tons so you should be able to snag SBC brackets at the wrecker from one

4. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I have a diesel w/AC version pump now with sbc brackets. It works because the resivor is the extended can type. That is what I want to avoid. I guess I can't do that without finding some sbc 1 ton brackets.
    How bad would it be to use a 350 pump and tee the lines? Are the hydraboost ps pumps any stonger or will a 350 pump work? Anyone have prefrences on rebuilt pumps?

Thanks

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

IMO the pumps are all the same.
    I would check out a remote reservior pump from a Cavalier or vette
    \the Td line is supposed to be a bad thing but I have never actually heard of anyone having related problems

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Actually if you really wanted to, you could have another return line connection welded to the SB pump. Of course the weld would have to be really good to prevent leaks.