Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydralic werse electric

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pplblazerdude, Mar 15, 2003.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at the milemarker hydralic winches and was wondering if they are any good. Any input who be appricated.

I also was wondering id a hydralic winch better then a elestric winch or is electric better any input would be good to me thankd a bunch.

Clint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Clint,
    It's reallly a toss up, pros. of hydrolic are it does not over heat like a electric winch does, plus it does not draw off your battery, some of the draw backs are the power steering pump may not have enough power to run the winch and steering at the same time, that can suck. Some people get a pump that is for the winch only, also if your motor dies so does your winch, at least with a electric winch you can go alittle farther or you can have two batteries to get the job done or get it to a safe place to work on the engine, just my opinion, hope it helps.

3. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

do u have any opinoins on the mile marker winches and see the only problem with an electric and my truck is right now my truck is pulling right at 800 watts of my battery and 80 amps while running my system and lights so im worried if i got a electric winch i would have to get a new alternator and a dual battery setup which would cost alot.

Thanks Clint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

You might want to consider the electric winch, there are reasons why most people use them.
    Adding dual batteries and an alternator won't be that much more expensive. Look around on here and you will find info on dual batteries which might be useful even if you don't need it for a winch.
    Also, investigate the possibility of upgrading your alternator with new guts rather buyibg a whole new unit. I rebuilt an alternator with a kit I got from Summit that upped the output to 140 amps. I don't remember the part # but is was less than $30.