Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydralic winches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Sep 16, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I have been looking into a new winch. I am seriously considering a Milemarker hydraulic. I am curious as to what other folks have to say about them. I would also like to know if anyone has one and hydaulic assisted steering. If so, is there any negative effects?

[​IMG]

2. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Ideally the hydraulics for the winch are run off a transmission or transfer case PTO......very much separate from the power steering pump. Friggin great winches, pull forever........as long as your engine is running.

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

X2...

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

As the control thingy comes from MM it favors the PS system. If you try to turn while winching the winch will stop until you're thru turning.
    Now consider that you're trying to winch a Sami off of being high centered on a log nearly as big in diameter as the sami is wide.
    Then realize that your truck has Hydra-Boost brakes......
    :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah:

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I understand what you're saying, 3 hydraulic components all demanding flow from 1 undersized pump, and without a priority valve any one can go out if you activate another.

But I don't know what MM stands for so I don't know how it can favor a power steering pump over a power take off.

And ideally a hydraulic winch should be a PTO application, so you don't run into these sorts of steering brakeing problems.

6. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

MM = MileMarker - manuf. of locking hubs and winches.

7. mostwanted

NTSQD ment MM as in Mile Marker. Power steering adaptors are sold by MM to facilitate installation of their winches.

Currently, I am sitting here on lunch break talking about this with a few co-workers. Beings that we are maintenance personell, it has turned into a heated discussion. We have come to the conclusion that there won't be any noticeable effects useing the power steering pump with both a winch and hydraulic assist steering. It is comparible to having hydro boost brakes and power steering. I don't think that your winch is going to stop if you turn your wheels. I would still like to get some more feedback tho. AND hopefully some PICS:D

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I've got hydroboost and ram assist............personally theres no way I'd put a hydraulic winch on that pump too.

If you want, you can calculate the maximum GPM demands of the system Vs the GPM of the pump and find out for sure rather that some guys opinions. I've never figured it out myself but I am willing to bet that the pump is grossly undersized for a system that includes a hydraulic winch ram assist and hydroboost. As a HD mechanic myself, thats what I would do.

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

there's only so much fluid that little old factory ps pump will pump.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Um, what part of my post did you think I made up? One friend owns the Sami, another the manual trans PSD with the MM. I stood there and watched the whole thing unravel.
    Step on the brakes and the winch stopped.
    Turn the wheels and the winch stopped.

For the way he used to use the PSD it was borderline acceptable. For his intended future uses I think he'll be looking into at least a stand-alone PS pump if not a PTO pump.

11. mostwanted

Is there a pump I could dedicate for the MM? I was looking at the Howe power steering pumps developed for rear stear. A person could install a manifold in place of the rear steer with some adaptors.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Could simply add another PS pump & use it exclusively for the winch. Could also run one of the 12 volt snow plow pumps as a back-up.

I was cruising the Northern catalog earlier today looking for a pump with just this idea inmind & while they have many options the thing that stuck out was that all put out more pressure than a PS system. Which possibly means a regulator is needed. Would be investigating what the max operating pressure is for those winches.

13. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Just an FYI about that. Maximum operating pressure for the winch is going to be the load capacity. The speed at which it will do that work is GPM.

max psi should be set with a relief valve as per winch manufacturer spec.

I work with lots of hydraulic winchs in the oilfield. Theres usually 6 or 7 on a drilling rig or the big ones on the heavy haul bed trucks.

14. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

PTO or run off the power steering pump you are asking for trouble (complexity). Keep it simple and go with an electric winch (8274) It won't care if the engine is running or if there is some kind of hydraulic leak in the system. There are certain applications where hydraulic winches are the correct solution but crawlers aren't it.

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well the hydraulic/pto winch VS. the eletric debate is getting old. Hydraulics are slower (usually) but electrics don't like long/repeating pulls (overheat).

Look at your terrain and pick your poison :wink1: In my neck of the woods, a stretch of bottomless mud makes continues pulling power alot more important than line speed. if I was out-west my needs would be alot different:smirk:

16. mostwanted

I didn't post to start a debate. I am just looking for ideas and a few pics mostly.

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The reason the MM winches are designed to be run off the ps pump is that most regular light duty vehicles have them. When is the last time you saw a Blazer or Jeep that was set up with a PTO driven hydraulic pump?

I agree that hydraulic winches are better for long, continuous winch pulls, but in general you will never be in that situation on the average trail. I've seen an average size electric winch pull almost two full cable lengths back to back (at least 150+ ft.) up a steep hill with no sign of overheating. I know there are some places with lot's of mud, but how often do you really have a trail where you will need to winch through 150-200 feet in one mud hole. I've been trailriding for years, and our trails have lot's of mud, and I would say the average winch pull is only about 10 feet.

18. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Every 205 ever built has a PTO port and sm465's and the sm435's probably D300s but I'm not too familiar with them.

19. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

i have a MM hydraulic winch running off my PS pump w. NO hydraboost and NO ram assist...and i am less that satisfied w/ its performance....but i have always had problems with my PS pumps...also, as soon as the belt to the pump gets wet, forget about a winch....i plan on gettin a hyro assist ram and i think i may didicate a pump solely for the winch, possibly higher on the head to keep it out of water...if you have anymore questions lemme know....

20. mostwanted

This pump I found on winchesplus.com. They have 2 models rated 3.5 and 5gpm @ 1500psi

[​IMG]