Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraluic winch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillR, Jun 1, 2000.

1. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used the Mile Marker winch? They say it runs off your power steering pump, and is STOUT! You have to keep the engine running, but that happens with an electric winch, too. (right?) Any experiences???

Blazin' in Flagstaff

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I've heard they work great and are rated at 12,000 lbs. I definitely want one!!!

ken

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have seen alot of winches used on the trail, both hydraulic and electric, and they both have there own benefits.
    Electrics are the most common and alot easier to install (simply bolt them on and hook up to the battery) and seem to work pretty good. The biggest advantage to them is that they still work when the engine quits running, such as when the engine is drowned out in water or during a rollover. Obviously, you can't run them for a long time but if you have a decent battery setup you can run it enough to get out of the mudhole or river, or pull the rig right side up and not have any trouble restarting the vehicle. With the hydraulic, you are out of luck if the engine quits. The biggest advantage to the hydraulic is that you can use it for a long period of time (as long as the power steering pump is in good shape) without burning it up or draining the battery like an electric. Though this can be a big advantage, most winch pulls are usually less than 10 feet so it becomes a moot point. One exception to this is on a trail we regularly run which has one particularly long nasty hill. There is about an 100 yard section that is extremely difficult when muddy and only vehicles with at least one locker and at least 33" mud tires can climb, rest of the vehicles have to be winched up, so the guy with the hydraulic winch always anchors his Jeep to a tree at the top and goes to work. Last time I was there only 5 of the 10 vehicles made it up and the other 5 were winched up with the hydraulic one.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well 6.2 covered it all!!
    I just would like to add the fact that I prefer the electic for the only reson it will still work in the case the motor is dead and you despratly need to use the winch. Like stuck in a river during a rain storm and the river is rising and your gonna loose your rig to the river unless you get it OUT!! Kinda an extrem senario but thats just how I look at it! And a dual Optima setup with Hellroaring battery iso/combiner is an AWSOME way to make sure you have enough juice & power to get your rig to safty !!
    Go electric!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I don't have very many bad things to say about electric winches, or good things to say about hydraulic's. For the simple reason of this. Look back a couple years when either fourwheeler or petersens did a comparison between the two. Guess which prevalied. Well lets just say this, the electric ended up PULLING up the hydraulic equiped truck. Here are a few more down falls. 2 of which I can relate to:

1. Fuel. Is your truck ALWAYS full of fuel? If not, in a off camber situation your fuel can be away from your fuel pickup in the tank. = Dead engine. happend to a friend when turning around on a road & slid into ditch <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

2. Stuck in creek, river, flood water: If your power steering becomes contaminated it will froth up and render not only your steering but your winch inop. Factor in that the powersteering pump is located lower than your bumper on your truck where your winch would be located. <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

You are the only one on the trail with a winch, your truck: flips, breaks (engine malfunction) etc. You are stuck. You can't just remove your winch from your truck. If you had a electric winch you can: run down your batt's and or borrow others batt's. Another plus is your friends can remove their batt's when the truck is running so recharging is not a problem. Recover your truck and or friends. It may be slow going but guess what... <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

If your doing a major pull on either your truck or a friends truck and you "Smoke" your electric winch, stop, let it cool and continue. If you "smoke" a hydraulic pump or fluid... <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

If you want a winch that will be transfereable from either front and rear of the vehicle OR you have multiple vehicles and only want to purchase one winch: <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>

If you don't have a snatch block and your anchor point is 10'-50' away or you are doing a lot of continues pulls: <font color=red>hydraulic prevails</font color=red> Keep in mind, most people only need to be pulled a short distance, and in cases where lots of people need to be helped they only need assantance. Usually a strap would do just as good as a winch. This could be also considered a <font color=red>tie</font color=red>

Well I hope this helps. I wouldn't ever put a hydraulic winch on my truck as my main source of recovery. Hydraulic's have their place. These are heavy duty applications like wreckers and industrial recover. Sitations where you have access to additional help and don't influence a daily used component. Do your self a favor, save mone, save face & buy a FRIGGIN WARN WINCH!!!!!!! YOu will NEVER go wrong with a Warn product.

Best of luck, keep wheelin and bolt anything Warn produces onto your truck.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I also wanted to go with Milemarker but Corey's post knocked some sense into me, so I'm going WARN![​IMG]

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

7. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Have had all three types
    1)PTO on my willis 4x4 wagon. Never let me down.
    2)Milemarker on my scout II a great wench.
    3) Top of the line wartn elec on my burb best way to run down a batery I ever saw.

Ideal setup is either a PTO or PS driven on front and an elec on the back.
    Then if you ever need one with no engine you have it but you will more then likly never use it.
    When one or another vehicle gets stuck at the bottom of my long snow packed driveway the last one I want to use is the electric.
    Course I know better then crossing rivers and don't drive off cliffs.

One time pulling out your buddy and having yours quit from a low battery with his still stuck and you will know just how much drain those damn elec units cause. 2 dead vehicles out in the middle of no where is a real PIA.

As for the mags well they just like who ever buys the most adds and they never are out by themselves where a drained dead elec system really bites.

The bottom line elec sysytem are for emergensy use only, but the others can be used all you want I even pull big plants out of yards with the PTO setup.
    Just watch those big stumps becuase a buddy broke the leaf springs using a curb abd brakes to hold aginst the pull.
    For gettins unstuck mud or snow nothing beets the reliability of the non battery killing PS or PTO driven units.

8. Corey-88K5

Turbo,

Here is my response to your post:

What do you think is easier? Stop and let your alt. recharge your batt(s) OR Stop and replace your power steering fluid & burnt up pump. Burn a pump or burn up a alternator. Gee what is easier there?

Going back to your "ideal" setup, you are STILL depending on a Electric winch to recover your truck if your hydraulic became inop. Once again: <font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red> I hope your winch is good enough to recover from THAT statement.

As far as the snow packed driveway situation. What is so much better about your hydraulic winch over the electirc in that situation? I've pulled "Hill Top Hero" quite a few times and my 95i has never been the short coming. I'm running my 95i with dual batt's & a hellroaring dual batt. isolator. Now do I need that? Nope, but that is an addition that most wheelers would make anyway. So that is for your own good to have dual batt's anyway.

Lets now address the 2 people stuck situation. Now here you are really going to love this one. Ok, he's stuck & you have a dead batt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its been addressed in my earlier post. Remove your batt. and put it in his truck, charge & recover. If you were running a hyd. you would have to either remove his p.s. pump and contain the fluids swap and reverse. Worst case, both trucks are dead. Oh darn... Get another batt & restart your truck. My electric is MUCH better in all situations we have addressed to this point with the exception of a long duration pull. But take this into consideration, your stuck right? who cares if you get out in 2min or 4min. Just as long as you get out. Your hydraulic doesn't offer the advantages that a electirc has.

Lets just say this again for the sake of summing up this entire post:

b]<font color=red>electric prevails</font color=red>[/b]

Corey
    88K5

9. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I saw the same review that Corey did and he's right, the electric won hands down. They'll have to do a redesign before I try a hydraulic winch.

10. Corey-88K5

Ok, lastly (unless SOMEBODY wants to argue this somemore...) Here is Milemarkers attempt at a "removable" hydraulic winch...
    [​IMG]

Just incase you want a rear mountable hydraulic winch. Ya, and 3 guys to put it in the receiver!

Talk about some friggin idiots!!!!

Here is the URL if you want to read more about it... (just to be fair) http://www.milemarker.com/catalog/equipment.html

Corey
    88K5

11. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey corey why are you so down on MileMarker.. You sound as if you are angry. Now that picture of the winch with a motor on top isn't a bad idea.. THat way you could winch a truck with no electric or engine running. I would personally buy that myself.. It also gives the frontend a mean look to it. I have the milemarker video (thanks mudzer) and it looked really really awesome. I don't care hydraulic or electric becuase I can afford neither but still you shouldn't be so arguative about a damn winch!

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

12. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Corey! I just bought a Warn HS9500i. Tell me more about your dual battery setup. (wiring, isolator, etc.)
    Thanks

Blazin' in Flagstaff

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

14. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

what about when the engine is not dead, can you use the electric winch with the motor running to avoid killing the battery? if no, why not?

Knife.

15. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Winch draws more amps then alt puts out.
    Even with a 100 amp alt.
    If you want easy to install cheepest route emergency use only get elec.
    If you want heavy duty can use all you want go PTO or PS but if hookling it up is too hard for you go with the masses go elec.

But if like me you drag logs up hills for firewood drag deer/elk carts loaded up steep grades and want to go it alone without backup up buddies go the reliable route and avoid elec.

Out by yourseld if you loose PS (never happened anyway) you can still drive home.
    You loose batery from excess winch and you are SOL and in for a long walk.

IF the engine does stall using a PS or pto no big deal just restart but if it stalled becuase you are out of juice you are SOL.

Been there done that and yes I run a big alt and 2 batteries but I don't like freezing my ass off waiting to recharge a battery before I hall up the next tree trunk.

Hunting or logging I will never again go with elec cause I don't need the PS ot the winch to get home and yes I even carry a come along for emergency.
    But the dead battery will leave you stranded.

I once on the trail helpd a jeep get home by sodering a nail in a brake line for a failed leaking brake slave. Added some fluid and got him home. So hell yes if the unbleveable happened and I lost PS no big deal.
    But loose 12 volts to start and run home and I am screwed.
    Those projection units require trons to run.
    Your battery is your only backup for a failed alt so run it dry at your own risk.
    Any good 100 yard pull will put an elec winch to shame and my driveway is steep and a lot longer then that.

One reason PS is nicer than PTO is the PS is controlled by a cable letting you be outside watching while to do the PTO you need to be inside with tranny and acell control.

Elec has and will let me and otheres down while PTO and PS power has always been there for me.
    But if you would rather trust a mag writer who makes money from the elec adds (just count em) then go ahead they will laugh all the way to the bank.
    So you light duty once in a while for 10 feet guys stick with elec but for me I want a roboust system with a long continous duty cycle.