Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic assist ram on a hi-steer setup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I am sticking the hi-steer on this weekend and next is the hydraulic ram for the assist steering. How did you mount the ram? I'd like to do it only once. Thanks. Oh yeah, my lift is 6" and I am moving the axle formward 1.5 inches if it matters.

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I can send you a pic of mine, but will have to wait till I get my springs back on. Basically used 3/8 wall DOM off the axle tube by the driver side spring. Put a small bend in it and went up to the height I needed then added tabs. The back end is attached there and the rod end attaches over the diff. Had to clearance the nut a little, but it all works well. Was nice to get all of it up out of the way as the rocks here in Colorado just love tie rods or anything that hangs down. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here's mine, just be sure to use tie rod ends on the tie rod instead of drag link ends. I first went with all draglink ends because I wanted all four to be the same and I wanted the high angle of the drag link ends. So now I just have to switch to tie rod ends on the tie rod and should be OK, I love the setup and keeps everything off the rocks.
    [​IMG]

4. Sandman

Thanks for the pic. Are the tie rod ends stronger? I was thinking of that also. Also I see that the tie rod sits behind the draglink. I was thinking of putting it the other way around. What are the pros cons to that? Thanks.

5. CK5

In the case of a tie rod, yes TRE's are stronger because of the thread going right up to the housing (not sure what they call that) and being shorter.
    You wouldn't be able to put the tierod out in front of the draglink without hitting the pitman arm with a conventional GM steering setup.

6. Sandman

I'll most likely just get the rock ring like you did. Should make it easier to fab up the mounts. I didnt know that about the draglink but I guess I would have figured it out sooner ar later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Steve, Would you happen to have a picture of the TRE vs DLE so we can see the differences? Also are these half ton ends or heavier?

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

HAs anyone done this with a 10bolt or D44?

9. CK5

The one on the top is a DRE (1 ton high angle) and the one on the bottom a TRE, you don't need the high angle DRE on the tie rod because it is always on the same plane.
    [​IMG]

This pics shows where I have been bending the DRE on the tie rod.
    [​IMG]