Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic benders...

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by mikey_d05, Mar 23, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I plan on buying a bender at some point this summer and I really don't have the money to buy a fancy hydro setup but I don't have the biceps to do what I need to do by myself, and all but 1 of my wheeling friends are ridiculously unreliable.

Pro-tools has nice, complete packages with plenty of accessories and such for good price, and they sell a "hydro bracket kit" for like $100. My only problem with that is, the air/hydro ram to fit it costs $360. :eek1:

I can get a similar air/hydro jack for $60 all day long but I don't know how to mount it since their ram is clamped right at the bender arm and an air/hydro jack would have to be mounted via the base.

Anyone have any bright ideas for hydro on the cheap or know of anyone who sells a similar ram for a little bit more reasonable amount?

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

bending tube manually is not hard at all. remember leverage is your friend. just use a good length cheater bar.

3. gauder

gauder Banned

6 ft piece of 1X2 steel works really well. Worry about upgrading after.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

hell with just their bender handle i saw a video of a guy bend 1.75 hrew .250 wall i think with 1 hand and 1.50 with one finger

5. mikey_d05

:thinking: Maybe I just wasn't using a long enough handle on my friend's bender or something.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is mikey a wimp? ;)

Just use as long as a handle you can. Or get that lady friend to help pull :eek1:

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I used about a 4 ft cheater handle. grabbed it, leaned back, and just started walking. Isnt hard at all and im not the most built guy you have ever seen.

8. mikey_d05

We were bending 2" .120 DOM with a decent sized handle (although I don't know the exact length) and it was a major major bitch for one guy. Apparently I forgot to eat my wheaties. :crazy:

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

model 4 on order... with full hydro,,, no more receiver hitch bends for me

in 3 weeks I will "tubulate"

10. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

at that size it wont be easy, DOM is a little tougher to bend than HREW. When you go above .120 wall its definately more work.

Just get the bender and consider your biceps bigger already. Like they said use a longer handle when neccessary.

Jesse

11. grizzlyoffroad

grizzlyoffroad 1/2 ton status

I have the model 3 bender without the hydrolic addition, and it works great for now. I have a 48" cheater, that I just lean on a little. Granted, I have only been bending .095 mild stuff so far, but I can't imagine the DOM being THAT much tougher. I do plan on adding the hydrolic kit when financialy possible....dang it runs like $900...that hurts. Sure will be nice when doing a full roll cage or some big projects though. Tell us if you find a good hydrolic setup for cheaper, I would like to know too.