Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic clutch adjustment?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Sep 16, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Gotta question for all you hydro clutch gurus out there. I just recently converted mine from mechanical to hydraulic. I see no provision for adjusting the clutch, and I assume that is one of the benefits of hydro. However, I did install a new flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing and pilot bushing. My clutch seems to work fine, no slipping or anything but... I like my clutches to engage/disengage as the pedal leaves the floorboard (low). This hydro clutch doesn't seem to do anything until my foot is almost ready to be removed from the clutch pedal, after completing a shift (high). If I push on the pedal lightly, I can sort of "feel" the one inch or so of free play, so like I said, I think everything works properly, I just don't like where the point of action occurs.

Is there any way to adjust/change where this action point is? Can an adjustable threaded rod be used at the slave cylinder to make this happen instead of the stock unthreaded rod? Or would that damage the slave cylinder by making it bottom out prematurely or something?

Thanks for any advice!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally wish mine would disengage sooner! I'm too short to push that pedal all the way to the floor!

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally wish mine would disengage sooner! I'm too short to push that pedal all the way to the floor!

[/ QUOTE ]

move your seat forward.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No a buddy of mine too the Master cylinder out and cut the pushrod for the MC in half and threaded like an inch of each of the two mating section of the MC pushrod and then he mated them with a threaded sleave, about 2" long or so. Has work well for him so far..only down side is that it also moves the resting position of the clutch pedal..in yours I'd imagine you would have to discard a 1/2" to 1" of MC pushrod to move the pedal closer to the floor...Just an idea...But inmy hydro clutch, when I had the Centerforce DF clutch, at first it would release and engage at the VERY top like you described, but after a month or two it release/engaged about 1/2 way up the floor...

You could maybe try the thgreaded pushrod at teh slave too...But keep in mind the SC pushrod is subjected to a lot more force than the MC...

Chris

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Aftermarket/rebuilt master cylinder I bought has an adjustable pushrod.

Have a feeling it's so the same MC can be used in S10's and C/K, but just speculating.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    move your seat forward.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that's funny? No, it's not.

The funny thing is that despite the seat being all the way forward, I'm STILL too short to get the pedal to the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif